Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:56:10 PM EDT
should you use grease on locking lugs?

i read this somewhere cant rember where....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You can, but it is not needed. CLP is all you really need. I have ran Tetra on my lugs with no ill effects, but now I keep that for the M1A.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
imo that would gunk up really fast

i just use clp
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
rgr thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a light coating on the lugs, especially where I can see the "shiny" areas from wear at the engagement points. I've used all sorts of oils, but the film lasts only a couple mags before it is worn away. However...after using a bit of grease, I find it stays right through the whole range session, and is still there when I take the bolt assy. out to clean. You can tell it has been smoothed over a bit from contact with the engagement surface, but the lugs are still coated. I also use it on the wear points all over the bolt and carrier assy. Works great. In fact, I've become such a convert that I use it on all my weapons, be they FAL's, M14's or AR's.

I use the white Tetra gun grease, and although I'm not subjected to the sandstorms of Iraq, I haven't found there to be more attraction to dirt vis-a-vis oil.

That's my .02. YMMV.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top