Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 4:12:50 PM EDT
i built a couple superior lowers the other day and painted the "fire" and "safety" positions while i was at it with model paint when i was done.  the lower kit was primarily DPMS parts - i think...  i left the safety half way between the two positions overnight while the paint dried.  now the safety seems sloppy to "snap" into the safe position but seems to be just fine into the fire position.  i don't know if it was like this before - i didn't try it.

not an expensive fix either way....  but i've looked at the spring and compared it to the other one.  same length.  the detent looks awfully worn and i've not even used it.  the selector seems to have fine grit like lapping compound on it.  

did i get some soft parts?  did i manage to weaken the spring in just a few hours?  anybody seen this or can tell me what the deal is?

thanks,

Septic Tank

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]
if it feels fine going into semi, id check the dimple on the selector -for safe.  and make sure its not binding on the receiver.  like you said, easy fix, cant be too many things.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The deal was----you used DPMS parts.

And DPMS stuff is extremely inconsistent in quality.  Some of their pieces will come in as high in finish and quality as any one anywhere.  Some is poorly finished and often poorly fitted semi junk.

This inconsistency is not solely confined to DPMS, but it does seem more prevalent in their stuff than anyone elses.  Even the pieces that are well fitted often are full of tool marks and gouges.

Like everyone else, DPMS gets their parts from different subcontractors. Unlike (most) everyone else, they apparently do zero inspection on what they get before they pack it and ship it.

The only aftermarket parts that seem to show consistent quality, and quality control, are Bushmaster; in my experience.  I have heard that Stag (Continental) pieces are also very good, but have no direct experience w/them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
shamayim,

so when i order the onesey, twosey parts parts from brownells just try the bushmaster replacements in lieu of the others?  

i suppose that'll work...  i hear so many reports about DPMS - all good or all bad.  nothing in between.  i have heard plenty of complaints about support of their dealers - that has been consistent.  

i'll order the bushy stuff or colt parts.  surely the two of them will be satisfactory...

thanks!

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
i have never had a problem with any DPMS parts ever.

jsut my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
No issues with my DPMS parts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]

To my knowledge, Brownells factory parts availablity is only DPMS and Colt, and you sure don't want to pay Colt's spare parts prices.  Bushie's parts are listed on their web site, and some of the dealers who list on our EE section also stock Bushie pieces.

For you "DPMS is wonderful" guys I can only assume that you've never seen a well finished AR.
Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of DPMS parts at my house-----and nearly every one of them has had work done on it by me to make it acceptable for use in one of my ARs.

Examples:

The black anodised receiver extensions from DPMS come with only the base shiny black anodising, and lack the final dull finish coat that Colt, Bushie, Stag, and most everyone else applies. Ditto with the trigger guards and mag release buttons.  OK; I'll take the time to apply the final coat, if getting the DPMS piece saves me a few bucks.

Front hinge and rear securing pins consistently come with circular tool marks on trhe head and little bumps on the left side.  OK, I can "finish the Finishing" that DPMS's contractor didn't bother with, and re park the piece.

Hammers and triggers? My polishing stones will get the tool marks off the bearing surfaces and smooth up the pull.

Buffers? OK, so the face of the DPMS ones in my rifles show more wear  and finish chipping after 2-300 rounds than the Colt piece in my 37 year old Colt SP1 does after multiple thounsands of rounds fired. They work OK and I'll live w/the chipped appearance every time I open the action.

In sum---if you believe that DPMS sells well finished spares, your tolerence for sloppiness is much higher than mine.  I'll buy 'em if the price is right, but Iwon't put the bulk of them into/onto an AR of mine until their finish matches my own standards.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top