Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 1:39:54 PM EDT
do i have to remove the barrel to remove the retainer ring  ( push down collar at the base of the forearms) or is there a trick . I have no front post  so can i slide it forward? I have really have no access to a vice so removing the barrel is a last resort. Hell i'd rather take a  dremel to it and cut it off , lol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you referring to the Delta ring assembly?  When you push the delta ring back to remove the hand guards take a look and you'll see half-moon cuts all the way around the inner piece.  That’s the barrel nut.  There is a wrench that you'll need to loosen the barrel nut, [b]but you'll never get it off unless you have an Armorers block to hold the receiver in a bench vise.[/b]  
Once the nut has been loosened you can unscrew it and pull the barrel off. You can pull the snap-ring off the backside of the delta ring assembly to remove the delta ring and leaf spring.  This will leave you with a bare barrel with just the barrel nut on it.  If you don’t have a front sight base you can skip taking apart the delta ring assembly and just slide the whole assembly off the front of the barrel.

A 9mm barrel is easy to change out cause theres no gas tube to worry about.  Have fun!

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
so removal of the barrel is a must to remove the ring. The reason i am asking is i purchased a  fre floating forearm w/ rails to replace the M4 grips i currently have. i have not got them in the mail yet but from the pictures on the sit i do not see that ring. I was hoping i would not have to remove the barrel  like i had to when i made i a flat top.but if that's the only way i guess i'll have to. Thanks
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top