Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2011 5:18:45 AM EDT
I have  a 2 point on a carb rear mount is through the slot on the back of the adjustable tactical stock, front is on the sight mount both are side mounted been thinking of going to quick mounts.What are the pros and cons of the rear mount being on the back of the stock VS the mount being on the front of the buffer tube
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The back of the stock will hold the gun closer to your body when slung. But you usually will have to free your strong arm to transition to weak side shooting.

Buffer tube end plate will usually transition to weak side without freeing an arm. But with this setup, you are 87x more likely to be beat in the nuts with your gun when moving with the gun slung.

I prefer the back of buttstock setup. Although I do have a Noveski end plate and got it here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Again see my standard answer.

Slings are like underwear. Boxers or briefs? In my case depends. Use what works for you.

As stated, mounting to the butt end of the stock keeps the gun tight to your body. Its too tight to my body. I need a little freedom and I don't like the stock getting wrapped up in the sling which sometimes happens.

If you use a receiver end plate, the gun can be just as tight. But the end plate will allow the sling to pass under the extension to the other side. If you do shoulder transitions this is a must. If you don't do transitions, then nevermind.

I now have five guns set up this way. A receiver end plate or similar device aft, and a QD swivel of some type forward. I then insert an IWC 2to1 triglide on the sling near the receiver end. This way I have all the security of a two point sling and I never get hit down there. If my shooting gets more dynamic, and I need the freedom of a single point, I unplug the front end, plug it into the 2to1, and now I have a single point. I can do whatever I want to do with the gun, and never change slings or hardware.

I should also point out that an adjustable sling is a must for this. Either the Gear Sector GS2P or the Vickers VCAS work well. There are of course other options.

I now have four Noveski end plates, and one Tango Down PR4. There are similar options out there that will get you the same results. It costs a little bit more to set up, but the sling options it gives you are worth the cost.

ive been using the pr4 with a padded vcas for a while now. i dont care for a sling mounted to the stock. there isnt a right or wrong answer. just have to do what works for you. sometimes that means you end up buying things that end up not working out. trial and error man.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I just recently switched to using a receiver plate mounting point and love it. I don't find it loose fitting at all. My front mount is right off of the front of the receiver on the rail and it is rather comfortable and makes strong side/weak side transitions much easier. I do feel that this is something that you will have to decide for yourself though.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top