Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 8:03:32 PM EDT
Ya know how when you use an aimpoint red dot, and you keep both eyes open?

Can you do that with power scopes?  I'm thinking 1 - 4 power.   Though maybe a fixed 1.5 or 2 power scope.  Something good at 100 yards.

I've been shooting rifles since I was a kid, but have never owned a scope.  In fact, I've only shot with a scoped rifle a few times.  I've never owned a high powered rifle that would require a scope, and I don't hunt so it's never really been an issue.  As I've been looking for scopes, I realized I know almost nothing about them.

Any suggestions?

A fixed 1.5 - 2 power would be fine.  And is it possible to keep both eyes open when shooting with a low power?

Thanks for the help.

E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24 Riflescope would fit your needs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
$600 is more then I want to spend.  Maybe I can get it a little cheaper, I just checked at riflescopes.com for quick check.

ANy thing a little cheaper, and anything with crosshairs?

Thanks,
E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Using a scope with both eyes open?  Read this:

Bindon Aiming Concept

The optics you're searching for DO exist, but unfortunately, quality optics cost money...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
that's sweet, and just what I was looking for.

So, it's the 1.5 - 2x trijicon? whew, lots of money there.

They do have a nice red crosshairs, a model trijicon compact acog 1.5 x 16 TA26R-4.  Near $800 as far as I can tell.  I'll buy one someday...just as soon as I lose interest in buying more rifles and mags. Gah!  I"m addicted, what can I say!?

A black crosshairs would be fine too if i could get it cheaper.  I do need something.

I don't need something that's good for shooting the thorns off a cactus at 1000 yards.  I like to shoot targets.  6" groups at 100 yards is fine by me.  I love to shoot fast.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you give us an idea how much you will spend?  That will help a lot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
What can I get for $400 -$450?

Thanks,
E (qiii)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What can I get for $400 -$450?

An Aimpoint CompML2 2x

or

An Aimpoint CompC 2x

Were it me I'd spend the little extra and get the ML2.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Qiii-

Have you tried an Aimpoint sight at 100+ yards?  The dot of any of our current sights (unmagnified) covers about 4 inches, which is smaller than the group size you would find acceptable according to your post.  Besides which, you say you like to shoot fast, and Aimpoint sights are arguably the fastest things out there.  I've used our sights to consistently take moving game out to 150 yards, and I find it much easier than using a scope, not to mention faster.

Take care!

Mike.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#9]
aimpoint is an exact match to what you are lookin for but go for the no magnification one.

or you could get an acog

like the world at ar15.com goes.....i got both
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an aimpoint on my preban colt that co-witnesses with the irons (I have a Knights m4 ras).  It's nice, and yah, I guess it works for what I said is acceptable.  So do the irons though.

Maybe I'll check into an x2 aimpoint.  But I don't want another dot, I want crosshairs and I want some magnification.

Since it's a matter of wants, I guess I'll hold off for a while.

I do appreciate the help though.  I'll buy the trij at some point.

Thanks,
E (Qiii)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
you can try the scout scope concept.  It's a long eye relief 2x +/- scope.  I have an AR upper set up this way and I like it quite a bit.  It does tend to make it a bit front heavy so I'm thinking of having the barrel turned down.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top