Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 5:14:23 PM EDT
Hey mongo . just saw the five slot FH you made for the H&K , nice job. just one question, why does it take 36min. per slot  on a cnc mill?  I've been a tool& die maker/ tool designer  for 23 yrs.  and made  my share of gun parts, all on manual equipment. I just finished a 3 prong '' vortex'' style fh for a friends  Rem. PSS in .308. made from A-2 tool steel.     I think the whole job took about  1 1/2 hrs. start to finish not including heat treating time, using a le blond  lathe , bridgeport  mill & a 5-c collet indexer.  I'am not doubting your skills in any way i just dont see why it takes 36min per slot. keep up the quality work!             PATRIOT ARMORY  class 07 manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Title should read, "Candygram for Mongo, Candygram for Mongo"

Sorry, couldn't resist
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Cutting stainless steel is a slow process.  That one was 304 SS.  It chews up tooling if you go too fast.  If I made it out of 4140 or 8620, I could go a lot faster.  I could probably even machine the SS faster, but I choose to save my tooling if I can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You get my vote for best non technical reply on a thread.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sorry, couldn't resist

In a round-about, round-about way, that's sort of how I got the nickname of Mongo for awhile.  It actually had something to do with the quote - "Mongo is just pawn in the game of life."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top