Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 6:22:22 PM EDT
I rember someone saying that you can use a clevis pin as a piviot pin install tool? What size clevis pin was that? My lower parts kit is on the way and don't want to wait for the proper tool. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I used 1/4 Cotter Pin.

Just tried clevis pin and is better.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a brass drift that was the same diameter as the pivot pin.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Fozzie, 1/4" or [.250"] is the size. I place this in a drawer when installing spring/pin . working this step in a drawer helps contain the parts when I 'miss'.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replys
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I used the butt end of a 1/4 in drill bit.  The end that you put in the chuck.  Worked good for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
When you buy the clevis pin, take a few moments to make sure the holes in it are clear with no burrs.  The one I bought had nasty burrs on each hole and those burrs will stop the spring and detent pin from going through.  Just take a drill bit the size of the holes and run it through, then take some 200 grit wet/dry and buff the outside of the pin nice and smooth.  The smoother you make the outside and inside of the holes the smoother the tool will work.  When you go to use it just put the clevis pin in place, line up a hole in the pin with the hole in the receiver, drop the spring and detent through the hole and use a small punch to push it down, once the detent clears the clevis rotate the clevis 90 degrees.  When you push the pivot pin through as you push out the clevis pin everything is held captive and there are no detent and spring flying around the room.  Very slick set up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks everyone for all the responces. Very helpful information
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top