Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 10:55:13 PM EDT
I know this is done by some of the high speed units. I also know that that paint comes off with field use. Is there a way a civilian who isn't changing AOs often could paint a rifle and lock the paint down with a non-glare, chip resistant clearcoat?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You could always do a multi-color finish using any of the bake on finishes. Norrells, Brownells, Gun Kote, etc.  Just paint your camo pattern and bake.  You will have a durable finish that will be less likely to chip or scratch that the standard rattle can camo jobs.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I know of a few people who have finished their weapons with Bow-flauge (sp?).  If they don't like the way it turns out, they clean it off.  If they do like it, they recoat everything with a few clear coats of Norrells or other make finish.

This would seem to give the best of both worlds for someone like me who isn't 100% certain in how things would turn out, and would rather strip it off and try again instead of recoating 10 times!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
On a side note, I know a few guys in CCT and 1st SF.  They simply grabbed Krylon when they did their weapons.  Like you said, they knew it would get beat and they weren't worried about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
DSArms offers the service on their FALs.  The link below will take you to their rifle models page---you must then click on Duracoat Camo Finish halfway down on the right.  www.dsarms.com/subcats.cfm?Category=01&storeid=1#

They offer the service for $300 or you can buy the paint kit that matches the pattern you want.  The kits are around $30 and are supposed to be enough for two rifles (or one and a half if you paint like I do. [:E]) The kit also comes with a special paint hardener for durability.  I do not see the paint kits on the web page though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
(I always wondered how they could paint a KAC M4 QD suppressor and get the paint to stay on when it got hot).  Maybe it bakes off and they just paint again??
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to Lauer's  in the industry section.
They sell DuraCote, which is what they use on the DSA rifles that they paint.
It is solvent/wear resistant, and comes in about every color you could want.
One of the nice things is you do not have to bake it to set the paint.

ETA: I am doing an AK with it right now, will post pics when it's done.
You will need to get a air brush for application, but for the price of the paint and air brush you could do four weapons for $300.00.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Brits used to do it with most of their weapons. Cheap, nasty and semi durable finish.

Baking enamels seem to work best for me.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Actaully, having the paint get rubbed off, peeled, chipped, etc. is a good thing.  It produces a more 'natural' mottled look that blends in better with most surroundings.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a buddy who Powdercoats as a side business[url]http://www.4matman.com/rsr/[/url]...He also Duracoats,KG guncoat's....And would prob spraybomb something if i asked him too....Anyway for firearms i say Duracoating is the way to go......Heres my mossy590 in duracoat OD green.....[img]HTTP://users.adelphia.net/~masine/mossberg.jpg[/img]

UNDERDOG, BTW if you buy a camo'ed scope from Premier reticles this is the guy who does it.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a pic of my M16 that I had worked on a couple of weeks ago. I painted the flash hider, delta ring, and the upper receiver using Duracoat from Lauer Custom Weaponry. It turned out extremely well.

I haven't used Duracoat before, but I had used their Durabake for my suppressor. I'm extremely pleased with the hardness and resistance to chipping of Durabake, so I thought I'd give Duracoat a try. Besides, Duracoat comes in Colt Gray - Durabake does not. You can do a professional looking job with good prep work, attention to detail, and patience. If you don't have an airbrush, LCW sells a disposable aerosol sprayer that screws on a glass jar and it does a great job. If you're looking at the Durabake, don't buy the paint in the aerosol can. It goes fast! Way too fast! If Duracoat holds up as well as Durabake, I'll be extremely happy.  

Dan

[img]http://home.ix.netcom.com/~brownhen/_uimages/XM177E2wduracoat50.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a brand new rifle!
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll second that!  Good job for sure!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the compliments.  I'm very happy with the end product.  The 'Colt Gray' color matches the lower quite well.  My wife left town to visit relatives and I took the opportunity to bake it in the oven.  Actually, the odor was not bad and cleared up quickly.  

Dan
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#14]
[url=www.lauerweaponry.com]Lauer Weaponry[/url]

[url=www.nouglyguns.com]No Ugly Guns[/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Krylon and a matte clearcoat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi Guys, Have any of you tried ALUMAHYDE to coat their lower and upper receivers? What is the difference of DURAGUARD vs. ALUMAHYDE? and can DURAGUARD be used without an airbrush?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Can i use Duracote to paint the barrel of my M16? Is it heat resistant?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I refinished an UZI myself with the camo finish kit I bought from lauer. It came out very well, coating appears very durable. I wrote a  review / overview of the re-finishing process with pics - I will be happy to e-mail a copy to anyone if you want. Send me a note at [email protected]

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#19]
kavik,

Send a copy out to me if you don't mind.

[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top