Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 11:44:06 AM EDT
fellas... the stag arms lowers i ordered finally made it to my ffl today (3). expecting the armalite parts kits this afternoon, yet... and the mags i ordered from tod arrived. so i'm all wound up about assembling my new no-ban ar's. just waiting on the stock from legal-transfers... but wait... there's a catch: i got delayed by nics again!

every flippin' time i buy a gun, i get put on delay. why is that??? i have a clean criminal record, and only 3 traffic violations in my life. i am not divorced or going thru a divorce, or anything else that could be construed to be negative, or passionate, or whatever. i buy maybe 5-8 guns a year or so, and yet, i am delayed every single time. anybody know why? anybody know how i can stop being put on delay? it really frustrates me. is there no recourse?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to get a 'delay' every stinking time I filled out a 4473. Luckly, here in Utah you can go down to the place the does the NICS checks and talk to them. Turns out it was something to do with my clearance when I was in the USMC. I showed up on some federal list and without them knowing what for exactly, I was given a 'delay'.

What I also did was to add my name to a list of people who have regularly had issues with the NICS check, allowing them to look that up and see that I had already been approved in the past and that the showup on whatever list I was showing up on wasnt for something bad.

Check around and maybe there is a number you can call and talk to someone at the place that does your checks. South Dakota is one of the states that it itself is the POC for NICS checks, there has to be some publc contact point for them. These guys might have an answer for you on how to get a hold of if its not them.

SD Bureau of Criminal Investigation
(701)328-5500
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
lol... that number didn't help... that was for north dakota... but, i have a place to start, so i'll see if i can find the s.d. dci... thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
i can't find any info... any more ideas?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, sorry about that.

Try this

Attorney General Division of Criminal Investigation,
500 East Capitol Ave., Pierre, SD 7501-5070; (605) 773-3331.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
well, thanks for the help... i called and this time since i was calling the right state, i was able to talk to somebody. of course, she didn't have a clue, and her computers are down at the moment (so much for picking them up today), but she said she'll do some checking and to call her back monday afternoon... we'll see if anything can be resolved.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I found if you have a very popular name it will cause a delay.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Did you put your full name on their and ask the dealer to make sure to repeat your full name? did you put your place of birth? also put your social security number and see if they will also use that as they call it in.

The more they can "define" you, the less likely they will confuse and delay you for someone else.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
yes on the full name. yes on the full name repeat. yes on place of birth. and yes on ssn... while i hate putting that one down, i do it to hopefully prevent the delay... doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I was delayed a few months back but it was because of my job and the security clearance I was in the middle of getting.  The guy at the gun shop said the NICS person said there was alot of gov activity under my name etc.... so they would have to make me wait two days to find out why blah blah.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top