Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 7:19:44 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just got my first AR back in May. I've gotten a lot of help from this site, and I have a few more questions.

First, should I take the exactor off the bolt for cleaning occasionally? Does it matter which way I push the pin out?
And what are your methods for cleaning in the locking lug recess?

Also, I've noticed quite a few of you guys have been in the Army. I recently signed up and will be leaving in October. Any tips for a new recruit? Weapons related or otherwise?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I just got my first AR back in May. I've gotten a lot of help from this site, and I have a few more questions.

First, should I take the exactor off the bolt for cleaning occasionally? Does it matter which way I push the pin out?
And what are your methods for cleaning in the locking lug recess?

Also, I've noticed quite a few of you guys have been in the Army. I recently signed up and will be leaving in October. Any tips for a new recruit? Weapons related or otherwise?
View Quote

-------

I don't take the extractor off unless it's extremely dirty or I have a problem. Otherwise I just toothbrush it off with the rest of the bolt face and a little oil and leave it be.

I push it out from left to right, locking lugs forward. Wooden toothpick works great(don't use the firing pin for anything other than striking the primer!!). Never pushed it out the other way.

I use bent cutips for normal cleaning in the locking lug recess. Otherwise the normal action of the bolt locking up keeps this area fairly clean, if it is properly lubed and you keep the male lugs thoroughly brushed. Every thousand rounds or so I sometimes run an M-16 chamber brush around a few times, with patches over the brush part that goes into the chamber.

Marines here, not Army.

Yeah, I got a suggestion for basic. Pay attention, and learn to do everything fast, and right the first time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said on the cleaning question...

...Marines here as well

Try to blend into the woodwork...Don't do too much or too little...Don't be over-zealous nor lazy...When I was in bootcamp this puke was an ex-guardsman...dumbass asked the DI if he could wear his National Guard ribbons on his Dress Blues!  Stupid thing to ask a DI...same puke said that he had shot and won multiple NRA matches (which was true, shooting was the only thing this puke could do, kinda like Pyle in Full Metal Jacket)...who gives a shit, this guy labelled himself by telling the DI this, and he did that a full month before he even got the chance to fire a single round...to top that off this puke was fat and unsat...a Diet Recruit for sure...If you are fat and unsat or pear-shaped in anyway give your ass to God, because you CAN'T blend in!

So, just do what your told and do it fast, watch the idiots around you and identify, then memorize what it is these idots are doing that gets them all of that "negative attention" and try like hell not to repeat, duplicate, or resemble such behavior.

It will save you much grief!

SOLAR    
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Get in the best physical condition you can before you go to boot camp. The whole experience will be allot easier on you. Running, pushups, pullups situps and run with weight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not at all pear shaped, but I have lot of work to do on the endurance for running. Right now, I make the minimums easy enough, but I still have a lot to do to make it easier. I'm just hoping that a month is long enough to be ready.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Let the DI's know that you are a member of this site!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top