Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 6:15:26 AM EDT
i grew up shooting shotguns and .308s, but i'm pretty new to the whole "black rifle" thing. as you all well know though, this bug bites really bad. anyhow, i've been wading through as much legislation as i can on the subject but still cannot find what i am looking for. i know that for a machine gun pretty much anything goes (i.e.: short barrel, folding stock, extended mags, etc.), but the whole pre/post thing has me confused on short barrels. i have a post-ban bushmaster. i am under the impression that you can put a short barrel on a machine gun or a "rifle registered as a pistol or short-barreled rifle". is there any way you can register a rifle as a pistol or short barreled rifle so as to convert to something less then the current 16" total length on a post ban rifle? ...or is it like machine guns where only so many are registered and transferrable but no more will be made so?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Search some topics on the M16 full auto forum above.  Its got all the info on MGs, Sound suppressors and SBRs.  Depending upon the state you live in you can fill out a form I, pay a $200 tax and put any length barrel you want.  You need to jump through some legal hoops, but its doable.  Your local Class III dealer could help you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
You can make a post ban AR into an SBR by filing a form1, paying the $200 tax, and waiting for approval.  What you are actually registering is the lower reciever assembly.  This allows you to mount any length bbl. on the weapon...(just put "less than 16" on the form in the apropriate box).  That is it.  Remember though that YOU MUST still comply with all AWB laws and keep your rifle features postban.  Basically you will end up with a postban rifle with short barrel.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
awesome, thanks guys. that's pretty much what i had thought, but i figured i'd check with a few others who are more knowledgeable then myself on the subject first. found some good stuff in the full auto area too. looks like it's time to spend more money!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top