Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/6/2004 8:07:29 PM EDT
With the AWB gone (hopefully for good) are AR style pistols legal again?
If so, what is the way to purchase a 9mm AR style pistol.
And what if after I acquire that pistol, I put a stock on it?
What are the legal hoops?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:27:30 PM EDT
You can purchase an AR pistol from Olympic Arms, not sure on the 9mm, nothing was listed on their website. If you get a pistol you can NOT put a stock on it without registering it as an SBR (short barreled rifle). If it has a stock the barrel must be >16 inches (NFA of 1934). If you want a short barrel with a stock you would be ahead doing that from the start and registering it. Olympic's pistol does not have a buffer tube, so you can not attach a stock, and other pistols have a very short buffer tube and do not have the provision for a stock.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:31:23 PM EDT
when you find a 9mm or .45 acp AR pistol, let me know

i havent heard anyone sell pistol caliber ARs, just 5.56
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:10:47 PM EDT
I contacted OA about one of there pistol uppers in 9mm and they said they have plans to release one maybe as soon as a couple of months.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 10:14:13 PM EDT by ajm1911]
9mmar15.com has SBR uppers that can be used for pistols.
You could buy a OA .45 upper and have it cut to the correct length
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:01:23 PM EDT
Sorry not completely clear the 9mm upper I was talking about will have OA's recoill system which eliminates the reciever extension. It'll be something to look out for.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 11:09:56 PM EDT by ajm1911]
9mmar15.com has pistol length uppers. All you need to do is go to someone like model 1 or something and buy a pistol buffer assembly. Just don't put a stock on it or you have an unregistered NFA--big no go.
if you want a stock and a short barrel register the lower reciever as an SBR which is $200 tax and about an 8 month wait from what I read
Top Top