Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 7:40:52 PM EDT
what do you guy think? any good? i already have an assembled lower but the damn kit price is so lower i figured i'd get a kit and have some spares.

was thinking of the lightweight 16 inch car.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a 16" carbine kit from them about three years ago.

Good kit, but they arent chrome lined.

Also, if you get one of thier kits, try to get the better buttstock, mine was not all that great.

Other than that I love my kit and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a 16" Lightweight CAR kit.  Its great, Im satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:35:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I had problems with mine. Last month I bought a 16" HBAR A-3 flat-top kit from them. The trigger group absolutely sucks (1/4" of creep), and I had to send the upper back to them, because they over-torqued the barrel which caused the front sight to be canted to shooters left. Cost me an extra $9.00 in shipping, and 2 weeks out of commission. The quality and accuracy is not that good compared to the J&T kit. Overall I'm not very happy with mine. Just my experience. I know some others have had better from them. Take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I just built one about 2 weeks ago, and it looks great.  Haven't shot it yet, but from what I can tell everything is in working order and as it should be.  Color match on an Eagle lower is perfect, too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a varmiter I built from one of their kits that I love. I do agree that the trigger that came with the kit was a bit rough so I added a RRA 2 stage
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
16 inch flat top with a flat top front gas block is what I got. It shoots fine and I like like it very much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
ok running 80% aprove rate. the trigger group they supply i am sure does suck but i already have a fully assembled dpms a2 lower. so the trigger sucking i don't really need to worry about. the over torqued barrel thats not good.
i think i'll get it and if i decided i don't like or the non chrome barrel isn't reliable enough i'll just remove it and ebay it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just buy the upper and select quality parts for spares if thats what you want.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered mine on a Wed. and had it assembeled the following Mon night.  I too ordered the full kit but only needed the upper to go with my pre-ban Oly lower.  The problem that I ran into was that my lower is slightly out of spec (it is one of the REAL EARLY SGW stopsign lowers).  It was easy enough to fix with a little filing.  Overall, the finish is excellent and the function has been 97% (1 ftf, 1 fte, and 1 shortstroke).  All malfunctions so far were in the first 20 rounds.  

To sum it up, I am real happy and will be ordering another in the future...as long as there is no expansion of the ban.

ka
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
did you do a pre firing hand breakin of the bolt/carrier and the uppwer? and what ammo were you shooting?

Quoted:
I ordered mine on a Wed. and had it assembeled the following Mon night.  I too ordered the full kit but only needed the upper to go with my pre-ban Oly lower.  The problem that I ran into was that my lower is slightly out of spec (it is one of the REAL EARLY SGW stopsign lowers).  It was easy enough to fix with a little filing.  Overall, the finish is excellent and the function has been 97% (1 ftf, 1 fte, and 1 shortstroke).  All malfunctions so far were in the first 20 rounds.  

To sum it up, I am real happy and will be ordering another in the future...as long as there is no expansion of the ban.

ka
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
You can get a J&T kit with chrome lining for $50 more.  The chromemoly 5.56 barrel is more accurate.  The chrome lined is longer lasting.  M&A parts/kits are excellent, at least the ones I've seen.

TS
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
did you do a pre firing hand breakin of the bolt/carrier and the uppwer? and what ammo were you shooting?

In all honesty, no I did not.  I am sure that that was part of the problem.  All I did was to lube it up IAW the USMC manual.  After the  first session of about 40 rounds, I took it apart, cleaned it VIGOROUSLY, and clp'd it.  THe next trip to the range (about a mile from the house) netted no malfunctions whatsoever.  The ammo was a mix of PMC, Winchester, some old surplus stuff, and one round of Wolf that I found at the range.  With the exception of the 3 rounds right at the beginning, there has been nothing but good news.  
BTW, that one round of Wolf did not cause my AR to explode, there was no un-due fouling, the bullet went where it was aimed (more or less) and there was no un-scheduled eclipse of the sun.  All in all, I might try more of it.

ka
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got my kit today and I'm about to assemble the lower.  Everything looks great.  I was a little surprised though.  The stock is gray instead of black (the rest of the upper is black).  Is this normal?  If so, what kind of paint do you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Just my 2 cents.

I have bought 2 kits from them.  one varmint 24" that prints 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.  Very happy with it.

The other is a 16 CAR kit with a the short Le stock that I put on a home built lower.  The stock sucks but the rifle shoots great.  Not 1/2" MOA but works without a jamming.  Overall I am very happy with their products and impressed with the quick shipping.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
warbird...Grey Stock

I heard you need to oil the stocks to match your metals finish.  I dont know, my shorty Bushmaster stock still in the "to be ordered" section of my build.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Installed a Wilson 16in lightweight barrel with a brake. Polished the bore before the first shot and then did the fire one, clean routine. About three hours later, shot the first 5 shot group. Using my varmint ammo it measured .669 at 100yds. Brought the gun home and cleaned it again. Next time to the range tried 69s at 100yds and had 5 at .686. Funny thing was shooting next to a guy with a 24in bull barrel and his groups were about 1in.

Bought this barrel a month ago from Model 1. Flattop with an ACOG on it.
VM

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just got my kit today and I'm about to assemble the lower.  Everything looks great.  I was a little surprised though.  The stock is gray instead of black (the rest of the upper is black).  Is this normal?  If so, what kind of paint do you recommend?
View Quote

Wipe it down with some oil a few times and it should darken right up.

Member edge767 had a similiar experience awith a J&T kit.  Look for his thread a couple of weeks ago.  Look at the before and after picts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top