Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 1:05:36 PM EDT
where can I find the specs that the m16 is built from.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC its not legal to own a copy unless it's licensed from Colt. I'm sure someone with way more knowledge on this stuff than me will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
DO you mean Milspec? or te TDP. because you cant even look at the TDP
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
here are some MIlspecs

Mislpec and other  related
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
ive never heard of the term tdp, what does that mean?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
TDP means Technical Data Package

its colts intellectual property, what makes a M16 a M16,   and all the spec, testing, materials etc that goes into it, not the reverse  designed copies of Non colt rifles
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
i ment the spec the DoD sent out for companies like colt to build from and bid on the contract.

the TDP would be cool to get also but i bet thats harder to get.

i will look over the links provided, thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i ment the spec the DoD sent out for companies like colt to build from and bid on the contract.

you will NEVER see the TDP it  is owned by colt.    the Milspec is not sent out by the gov. it is also   based on colts design
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That would be the TDP.  When they put out the M16A2 and A4 for bid, interested bidders signed a non-disclosure agreement and were provided with the TDP IIRC.  A while back the TDP for the M4 was sent out to several companies by the mil due to a snafu.

Supposedly the reason that FN can't sell ARs commercially is because they have the TDP for the M16A2/A4 after they won that contract, and it was put in as terms of the contract.  Which is a raw deal because LMT has the TDP (for their Mk18 contract) yet they are not bound by a similar restriction.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont think  LMT has the  TDP.   I  know  how that rumor got started,  there is no evidence  of any contracts for the CQBR being awarded   to LMT  or anyone other than colt
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The DoD does not send out the specs for the M4 to Colt.  Colt sends them to the DoD.  Colt OWNS the specs to the M4.  Now recently the sole source contract expired, meaning the DoD could now send copies of the TDP to other makers.  However, the specs are still Colt property, and the DoD has to pay Colt royalties if they choose to go that route

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
where can I find the specs that the m16 is built from.

Such bantering derived from such a simple headline question!  

All MIL specs are housed at the US DoD Defense Standardization Program (DSP) website.  Most of them are freely viewable by anyone.  Go to http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/

The MIL specs for the various AR-15 variants used by the DoD are indeed determined and written by the DoD, and include performance requirements and test methods and criteria.  What they do not include, however, is the dimensions and techniques needed to actually manufacture the AR-15.  Those are the details that are included in the TDP, which is owned by Colt and is not (officially) available.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
has the TDP leaked out and is it floating around the net?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
has the TDP leaked out and is it floating around the net?

still looking.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top