Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 3:00:51 PM EDT
so i have a fabulous RRA upper/lower w/colt 1/7 twisty that i just got back from KKF. kurt did a great job smipping the barrel to 16.5" and installing his a2 brake.

problem is, the (standard a2) handguards seem to fit lousy. i supplied the handguards, RRA, that i had bought new, for the upper build.

there is a gap on both sides toward the muzzle end. i can squeeze them and the gap opens up to about 1/8", and everytime i grab them i get some noise from the plastic reseating itself.

anybody else have an issue like this?

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Score the gap area with a file, then build up a thin layer of JB-Weld. Sand it down for a tight fit after it dries. Either that or buy a new set.

I've never had your problem but I did have a set that moved up-and-down within the front end cap. I used the same method to fix it and it's held for two years.

Edited to say: If I were you, I would just go out and buy a set of M4 profile grips. They feel much better than the standard carbine ones. Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the perfect excuse to go out and get a RAS or SIR.  You'll want one eventually anyways. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
oh i want one already. but the IRS will get my SIR fund in april...
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
so i have a fabulous RRA upper/lower w/colt 1/7 twisty that i just got back from KKF. kurt did a great job smipping the barrel to 16.5" and installing his a2 brake.

problem is, the (standard a2) handguards seem to fit lousy. i supplied the handguards, RRA, that i had bought new, for the upper build.

there is a gap on both sides toward the muzzle end. i can squeeze them and the gap opens up to about 1/8", and everytime i grab them i get some noise from the plastic reseating itself.

anybody else have an issue like this?

View Quote

I have the same problem with a set of OD handguards I bought at a gun show - I hate the gaps. They are just badly molded. The ones on my armalite upper and my Olympic fit perfectly, with no gaps at all, and if I look at the inside edge I can see the interlocking parts are much better made on these than on the gun show handguards.

I plan to order a new set of Armalite or Olympic handguards, and throw these pieces of crap out.

You might call RRA and tell them you want a new set, they might be willing to do it to protect their good name.

Morale of the story: try the handguards on before you buy if you can.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two sets of RRA handguards that are too long.  They came out with a struggle and would not go back in using the handguard tool AND the buddy system.  I finally took them into work and touched the ends to a belt sander, taking off about 3/16ths overall.  They fit now, snugly like they should.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the replies.

i think i will try referring the issue to porter-cable.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top