Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/30/2004 11:56:57 AM EST
What I ultimately want to accomplish is a solid long range/predator rifle utilizing the AR platform. Would it be cheaper to build one myself or just purchase a complete unit such as the bushmaster varminter?? I'm looking to shoot sub MOA groups consistently which shouldn't be too hard. I would like to stick in the $1000 range, scope and rings, etc. not included in that. Give me some suggestions on upper and lowers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:13:26 PM EST
If you build it you can easily build a SS varminter for $650-$800.

Or at least buy it in two halves (upper and lower) to save on the FET.

I would go with mostly RRA components, but that is me.

If you are going to stick with light/short bullets, I would go with 1/9 twist. (Bushmaster)

If you are going >62 grains, then I would go with 1/8 twist. (RRA)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:32:24 PM EST
If you are planning on shooting beyond 200-300 yards, you will NEED heavy (69gr+) bullets.

This means 1/7 twist...

The only reason to go 1/8 is if you MIGHT use something lighter than 62gr...

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:35:13 PM EST
You can go with RRA components from Adco, and get in the price range mentioned.

ADCO
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:09:32 PM EST
How does the RRA varmint compare with the bushmaster varminter??? I see that the RRA is quite a bit cheaper than the bushmaster. The rifle will mainly serve as a long range predator (coyote, bobcat, etc.) weapon, but I would like to slam a few chucks or p-dogs in the 400-500 yard range. I will also be doing some long range target shooting as well. I'm open to any suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:33:10 PM EST
I know this is more $$$$ than you are talking about but I just got a Les Baer Ultra Match and I must say this is no average AR. Custom built all the way with it's fit and finish and rock solid. It will shoot from 55 - 77 grn. with a 1x8 twist. The 77grn. match is under 1/2 MOA at a 100 hock.gif I put a Nightforce 3.5X15X50 on top of it.......Wish I had a few pics to show you but haven't had a chance to take any yet.
You would not be disapointed..........Great rifle!!!!!!!!!! G
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:13:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Wingman26:
You can go with RRA components from Adco, and get in the price range mentioned.

ADCO

+1 for ADCO and RRA.

You can't do any better, IMO.

Top Top