Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2007 8:53:27 AM EDT
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/elute07.gif

Is there any way an ACOG model would work on this upper?  Possibly using one of the models with longer eye relief, and looking through the larger apeture rear sight?  Or would a riser be the ticket?  If someone could mount their ACOG a little forward and try it through BUIS I'd appreciate it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Is there any way an ACOG model would work on this upper?  Possibly using one of the models with longer eye relief, and looking through the larger apeture rear sight?  Or would a riser be the ticket?  If someone could mount their ACOG a little forward and try it through BUIS I'd appreciate it.

I would contact Steve @ ADCO Firearms.  He has a concept called the Cruiser UTE.  There is a thread in the Archives about the how's and why's this was developed, but he also sells them in the EE

To answer your question, I think that Steve said it was possible to mount an ACOG, but you should contact him as to which model he used to validate the idea.

Phone 419.882.8079
Fax 419.882.6627
E-mail [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pointer.  I will contact ADCO in due time.  I had been thinking of having them change out the upper to a flat top if absolutely nessecary [may still do that]. Honestly I'd like them to recontour the barrel too because the RRA is Very heavy.
But cost is a concern and I can barely swing an ACOG.  I'm tempted just to saw off whatever it takes on the rear sight for the eyepiece to extend to the charging handle.  But then again CMMG has some real nice complete uppers....  Too many choices!
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pointer.  I will contact ADCO in due time.  I had been thinking of having them change out the upper to a flat top if absolutely nessecary [may still do that]. Honestly I'd like them to recontour the barrel too because the RRA is Very heavy.
But cost is a concern and I can barely swing an ACOG.  I'm tempted just to saw off whatever it takes on the rear sight for the eyepiece to extend to the charging handle.  But then again CMMG has some real nice complete uppers....  Too many choices!

You're welcome.  Steve is very helpful.  I was looking at the weight of the RRA UTE from the gif you attached and is it really 7.7 pounds??

My Mid-Length has a SDI Gov't profile barrel and weighs 6 lbs. 2.5 ozs, empty.

I would say, yes, get the barrel reprofiled or fluted.  Thankfully, ADCO can do this as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe that weight is accurate.  The barrel really is a thick beast!  It's impressive to see in person - looks like damn sewer pipe under the handguards!

I'm realy not sure now whether to do the ADCO thing, or just spring for a new complete upper and sell my other one.  The CMMG 14.7" M4 upper is looking extremely attractive lately; classic m4 look, lighter barrel, chrome lining, and 1/7 twist.  Who knows.

If I end up selling my complete upper - would it be preferrable to include the bolt and BC or does it generally not make a difference [besides price]?
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe that weight is accurate.  The barrel really is a thick beast!  It's impressive to see in person - looks like damn sewer pipe under the handguards!

I'm realy not sure now whether to do the ADCO thing, or just spring for a new complete upper and sell my other one.  The CMMG 14.7" M4 upper is looking extremely attractive lately; classic m4 look, lighter barrel, chrome lining, and 1/7 twist.  Who knows.

If I end up selling my complete upper - would it be preferrable to include the bolt and BC or does it generally not make a difference [besides price]?

Before I start anything, I would call Steve and ask him if it is better to contour or flute your current barrel.

Fluting from ADCO is $120.00 (+$50.00 for assembly/disassembly if the barrel is sent as part of a complete upper).  Contouring is $94.00 (+ $50.00 for assembly/disassembly if the barrel is sent as part of a complete upper).

CMMG uppers start at $575.95.  Also do you want the M4 upper or the M4A1 SOCOM upper?  The SOCOM upper has the heavier barrel.

If you were going the whole new upper route, have you thought about the custom Bushmaster uppers from PK Firearms.  Paul and Brett are good people that remember what service is.

Their 14.5" M4 upper starts @ $410.00 (w/o bolt and bolt carrier, but with a forged charging handle).  Add a super duty BCG from Denny @ GTS for $160.00 and be good to go for $570.00, plus shipping.  The Bushmaster comes with a regular rifle barrel extension (just like your RRA) , unlike the CMMG, which has the newer M-4 barrel extension.

Not saying that this option is better than CMMG, just that you have more than one option available.

Were you to sell your current upper, I would include the BCG.  You can move it more quickly that way.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
For the cost of buying a UTE2 upper, having the barrel reprofiled and then trying to get the scope mounting to work... you should consider just getting a Denny's Operator barrel on a standard flat top upper with a folding rear BUIS.  Would probably end up costing the same or less, you'd have a higher quality barrel already in a better profile and a more usable system, in probably less time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For the cost of buying a UTE2 upper, having the barrel reprofiled and then trying to get the scope mounting to work... you should consider just getting a Denny's Operator barrel on a standard flat top upper with a folding rear BUIS.  Would probably end up costing the same or less, you'd have a higher quality barrel already in a better profile and a more usable system, in probably less time.

I thought that he already HAD the UTE and was looking for what options were available to him.  If he has yet to buy it, then yes your route sounds better then the one laid out.

I think that if he already has the complete UTE upper, then spending $150 - $170 to lighten it would be the most economical way.

Still, the ARFCOM motto of 'Get Both' is running through my mind.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, that's right. I already have the RRA UTE2.  I bought it about a year ago, choosing it as it was the only RRA on the rack, and the only middy - my two preferences.  Now that I'm realizing an ACOG to be my calling, the permanent sight tower is a problem.

I appreciate the further suggestions. I hadn't thought of PK firearms for the upper - I'll keep them in mind.  

I'm starting to lean towards buying the flat-top reciever and just swapping the barrel myself if none of the local places will do it.  The ACOG is going to be enough of an expenditure to justify minimizing all others for the time being.  I can live with the heavy barrel for now.  If [or, when] I'm going for something lighter, I think I'll just buy a new upper to get a chrome lined, 1/7 twist barrel.  My middy is 1/9 non-chrome.

I've already decided to sell some guns to thin my herd and capitalize on the AR rig - it's just a question now to what length I'll have to go to satiate my BRD!  

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
it's just a question now to what length I'll have to go to satiate my BRD!  

Now you're delusional.  There is no satiating BRD.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/unlrn/etc/chop.jpg

The picture pretty much says it.  No more UTE2!!

My ACOG should be here Wensday he
Killing time untill Wednesday...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/unlrn/etc/chop.jpg

The picture pretty much says it.  No more UTE2!!

My ACOG should be here Wensday

The hack job didnt come out as bad as I thought it might.  It might satisfy me to put off installing the new upper reicever untill I get the inevitable FF rail setup.

Killing time untill Wednesday...

That photo only reinforces my thought that something like that with a simple flip-up aperture would be more useful than the full A2 rear sight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
+1
Much more useful.  Something tells me there will be an upper like that someday.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
+1
Much more useful.  Something tells me there will be an upper like that someday.

Once you get your flattop upper, you might want to consider something like this:

BUIS Scout Rail - ABSR1205 $165.00

Back Up Iron Sight - When optics fail the sight can easily be flipped up for an immediate sight picture. Clean streamlined appearance, simple function, and smooth integration with upper receiver. No small or fragile components to fail. Utilizes standard A1 hardware for servicability. Cannot be inadvertently adjusted out of position. Rail extends over barrel to mount optics as far forward as possible.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top