Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 11:41:53 PM EDT
When installing a barrel I tighten the barrel nut to about 40 pounds of or so.  I may have to loosen it a bit or tighten it a bit to get it lined up with the gas tube.  Is this the right way to put a barrel on? The barrels I use have the factory barrel extension on them. This is where the headspace is, right. I dont want to cause a dangerous problem.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
thats about what i do and i havent had a problem yet and yes the head space on a ar should be fine YMMV
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
the TM says to torque to 30 ft-lbs 3 times (with moly lube) on the 3rd time you can go as high as 80 ft-lbs in order to get the notches aligned for the gas tube.  tightening the barrel nut does not affect headspace.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have taken apart uppers that I have been shooting and the barrel nut was only hand tight.  I do not even worry about torque specs.  Tighten it and do just like you said.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
what i did is set my torque wrench at 80 ft/ lbs , once it did not align with the gastube loosen the barrel nut a little
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Whether you're in the strict tighten-3-times or the tighten-till-it-lines-up school, I think loosening the nut to get alignment is a bad idea.  If you have to back off, back off all the way, then tighten to alignment.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What is all the equipment necessary to do barrel work? I bought a large hole upper and i'm gonna move the parts from my m4 upper over to it. What all do I need? Armorer's block, barrel wrench, what else?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is all the equipment necessary to do barrel work? I bought a large hole upper and i'm gonna move the parts from my m4 upper over to it. What all do I need? Armorer's block, barrel wrench, what else?
View Quote

You have to get the gas tube out of the way somehow.  You can either 1) use a roll pin punch to remove it from the gas block, draw it back into the upper enought to clear the gas block, and then pull it clear or 2) use standard (or even better, concave) punches to remove the front sight base and pull it clear with the gas tube.  If all you're doing is swapping the barrel assembly, you should be set.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to get the gas tube out of the way somehow.  You can either 1) use a roll pin punch to remove it from the gas block, draw it back into the upper enought to clear the gas block, and then pull it clear or 2) use standard (or even better, concave) punches to remove the front sight base and pull it clear with the gas tube.  If all you're doing is swapping the barrel assembly, you should be set.
View Quote

I just did that that. I did it the hard way but Tweak had some good advice on how to remove the gas tube the easy way:

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=177367 [/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top