Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 6:53:40 PM EDT
How well does this barrel shoot?   and what are the heaviest bullets you have shot through one?   I am looking at a BM 16" CL  1-9t barrel for my first carbine build and would like to shoot  the 69 gr weight bullets and maybe the hornady 75 gr  bullets.  I have a good load for the 55gr soft point bullet I shoot and it works very well in a 1-7 barrel I have and have shot them at 300yds before.   I know the 69's and the 75's are suppose to work in a 1-9 twist but the last 1-9t barrel I had wouldn't shoot neither bullet  -   it was a colt barrel.   I am looking for a m4 look and would not shoot this rifle any farther than 400 yds at the most.  Also I am tossing around the idea of a 14.5 barrel with a perm FH to give the rifle a more balanced look.  What do you  think?  any ideas will help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
come on guys    someone has to had tried to shoot the heavy bullets in these barrels  -  throw me a bone man  - give me some ideas,    or at least have some idea on how well they shoot with hand loads.     I hate spending money on something that won't work.

thanks in advance for any help
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Howdy,

I have a Bushmaster 16" with the 1-9
It shot about 2" at best.  So I lapped it (I am a gunsmith) and tried a load with IMR 4895 powder.
24.3 gr. with a Rem BR primer in Military brass
Sierra 69 match Kings or Hornady 68 gr. match bullets
I have shot LOTS of 3/4 inch groups with this gun and this load
It's a coyotes worst nightmare

Steve
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Steve

How did you lap it?   I am not a gunsmith by trade but I do all my work on my AR's.  I have heard of fire lapping  and  have read about casting a lead plug and lapping the barrel with fine abrasive paste.       Do you think that your barrel was unique?  or is that the norm with the chrome lined bushmaster barrels?    Also    thanks for the information,  That's what I am trying to do - is build a handy coyote rifle.   I also shoot often at 300 and 600 yds with my AR's    This one would be limited to short range(100 to 300 yds)   I just love building and shooting the AR15
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top