Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2006 5:00:34 AM EDT
during the "ban" i ordered a RRA upper that was cut and had the break perm. attatched so that the OAL was 16". now that the bas is gone i'd like to switch it over. can i remove the break and perm. attatch a longer flash hider to keep the BBl length over 16". what hider would be best? i looked at a vortex and i think its a good bit longer than an A2. the break thats on it is the wilson that looks like an A2.
if i cant do that would opening up the front of the break make it function as a FH?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]
it can be done very easily by a compitent gunsmith or by yourself if you have the tools and the know how but I recommend going to a gunsmith.  A ton of people here have sent theirs to ADCO (here in the Industry forum) and they do top notch work for a decent price.  I had mine done by JTAC Supply (also here in the Industry forum) and it came out looking great.  I had a mini y comp and had a Phantom installed.  

The Vortex is a great choice and is pretty much the best at hiding flash.

Good Luck!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Compliments of FALARAK and BadSVT

Quoted:
Remove your MINI-Y Comp brake:

Several people hate their mini-Y comp muzzle brake that came on Bushmaster postban barrels, and want to remove it to install a common flash hider.  Here is a how-to provided by another member, "BadSVT"

<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Quoted:
Started with this

This is where the pins are, one at 6 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock

I ground down far enough to find the pins but they wouldn't budge, so I took my dremal and used a cut off wheel to cut the comp in half. Make sure you do this right down the middle of the pin.

Then using a cold chissel, I split the comp. When I did this, it loosened the pins up.

I turned the pin by using the slot cut down the middle of the pin. Then I ground around the pin, using the cut off wheel until I had enough room to grab the pin with a needle nose pliar.

After the pin is out, cut down the middle a bit more, to connect the hole to the rest of the cut. Then split the comp open using the chissel.

The comp comes right off.

And here is the barrel with a phantom mocked up

<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

It is VERY IMPORTANT to remember, that most of the Mini-Y's came on 14.5" barrels, and you MUST install a muzzle device that will get the barrel back to 16" or more (Phantom, Vortex) and that MUST be permanently installed, in a fashion acceptable and documented by the ATF.

AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THE BRAKE OFF, your barrel will make your AR a SBR, which is illegal, unless you have registered it and payed the ATF stamps, etc.  Do not assemble your barrel back on the rifle until you have installed the new device permanently, and dont wait a long time to get the new device installed..... or "plan to" "someday" get it mounted permanently.  The reward does not match the risk.  

I dont agree with the above legalities, at all... but they warrant mentioning.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top