Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 9:14:40 PM EDT
A RRA chrome moly barrel is $20 less than a bushmaster chrome lined barrel. But an upper receiver assembly costs $150 more. How much does it cost for a gun smith to chrome line a barrel? Is the added durability worth it for a casual shooter like me?  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A RRA chrome moly barrel is $20 less than a bushmaster chrome lined barrel. But an upper receiver assembly costs $150 more. How much does it cost for a gun smith to chrome line a barrel? Is the added durability worth it for a casual shooter like me?  
View Quote

You would need to get a new chrome lined barrel. As to whether or not it's worth it to you only you can decide.  They sure are nice for shooting all sorts of cruddy mil-spec ammunition.  These days accuracy seems to be excellent also - at least with some manufacturers.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You cant get it chrome lined. They are manufactered that way.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
oh, it was listed as an option on some web pages, i thought they just poured molten metal down it, or sprayed it with a chemical solution that bonds with the steel to form chrome.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you may find this very interesting:

http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/barrels-accuracy.asp#Q.%20Is%20a%20Stainless%20Steel%20barrel%20any%20better%20than%20a%20chrome%20lined?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think you may find this very interesting:

[url]bushmaster.com/faqs/barrels-accuracy.asp#Q.%20Is%20a%20Stainless%20Steel%20barrel%20any%20better%20than%20a%20chrome%20lined?[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO having a chrome line barrel on a AR is throwing away your money.....chrome lining in military rifles was intended to keep the barrel from being trash due to lack of maint. on the rifle, supjecting the rifle to  heavy humidity, and rain for prolong time that will cause the inside of the barrel to rust.  I doubt very seriously that your rifle will even experience 1/1000th the abuse a M16 will go through...so there is no real logical or rational argument anybody can give for having a AR15 chrome lined. for the casual shooter, which all of us are,  it's real more of a "ohhh I got a chrome lined barrel like the M16"
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The cost is actually not that bad... The kicker is that I have to send 50 at a time for plating!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not found anyone willing to chrome line a barrel smaller than .30 diameter after it has been produced due to the fact the barrel is made marginally too large before the chrome is applied so its the correct size when finished.

IMHO the chrome lining is needed for the chamber to give you maximum reliability.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have not found anyone willing to chrome line a barrel smaller than .30 diameter after it has been produced due to the fact the barrel is made marginally too [red]large[/red] before the chrome is applied so its the correct size when finished.

IMHO the chrome lining is needed for the chamber to give you maximum reliability.
View Quote

True...its called engineering.

Now, if you want an accurate rifle, get a stainless barrel and break it in correctly.

If you want a beater/shooter, chrome-lined would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Sub MOA to .5 MOA is a beater/shooter rifle to you?  Chrome lining is not less accurate for practical purposes.  If you want .125-.25 MOA then go for a match stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sub MOA to .5 MOA is a beater/shooter rifle to you?  Chrome lining is not less accurate for practical purposes.  If you want .125-.25 MOA then go for a match stainless barrel.
View Quote

Umm...Yes.

"Practical purposes" aside, there is one thing you CANNOT do to a chrome-lined barrel, and that's break it in properly.

When you get a chrome-lined barrel, you are STUCK with all the roughness that might be removeable through a regimented break-in period. Why? Because the hard-chrome lining "locks" whatever imperfection there may be into a permanent imperfection.

Case in point, my own SST bull-barreled rifle. When I first got the thing, it shot 3" MOA on the first few rounds while I was breaking it in. As the break-in progressed, it SLOWLY came down to a reasonable MOA. It is now at 1/4"(or less!) MOA because I was able to knock-down  the imperfections during the break-in.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I would argue that a propperly made barrel that has been lapped does not need to be broken in.  Krieger does not think break in is important for instance and they shoot sub .5 MOA right off the bat.  If a chrome lined barrel was made that well it would shoot sub .5 MOA too.  An M240 machinegun barrel is a mass proiduce item not a match component and is sub .5 MOA capable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO having a chrome line barrel on a AR is throwing away your money.....chrome lining in military rifles was intended to keep the barrel from being trash due to lack of maint. on the rifle, supjecting the rifle to  heavy humidity, and rain for prolong time that will cause the inside of the barrel to rust.  I doubt very seriously that your rifle will even experience 1/1000th the abuse a M16 will go through...so there is no real logical or rational argument anybody can give for having a AR15 chrome lined. for the casual shooter, which all of us are,  it's real more of a "ohhh I got a chrome lined barrel like the M16"
View Quote

Yeah but for $20-$50 more why not?  It certainly shortens the time needed for cleaning and that in itself is good pay off IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
... Cryogenically treated high-carbon, chrome-moly barrels are more accurate then either chrome-lined or stainless.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have a hard time believing that cryo'ing a barrel makes that much differenec to be more accurate than stainless. If that was the case, why do most match shooters prefer SS barrels then? I know Lilja doesn't believe cryo helps that much either.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#16]
The #1 thing to look at when you want accuracy is the quality of the barrel.

Chrome moly / Stainless
Chrome lined / Unlined

Everything else come second to quality.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top