Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:02:01 AM EDT
is it possible to moint the front sight as far out as possible, but still keep a smaller forend.  would that mean i would use a low profile gas block and a normal front sight A2.  Iwas wondering about a 141/2 but moint the sight far forwrd.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
is it possible to moint the front sight as far out as possible, but still keep a smaller forend.  would that mean i would use a low profile gas block and a normal front sight A2.  Iwas wondering about a 141/2 but moint the sight far forwrd.

you're on the right track.

Same concept as a dissapator.  Lo-pro gas block handles actual gas duties, A2 sight moved further towards muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I use this when doing the whole dissapator thing.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EU0240MPKIT

This way you don't have to drill the barrel. Better IMHO as you can return the rifle to a carbine without having barrel scars.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a problem when doing this with a 16 inch barrel?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there a problem when doing this with a 16 inch barrel?

No.  As long as the gas system remains the same length (and it will), there won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
with a 16 inch barrel woul dthat be using a mid or carbine gas tube?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
with a 16 inch barrel woul dthat be using a mid or carbine gas tube?

could be either gas system on a 16". Even a shorter barrel like the 14.5" (which I have) could be midlength gas system (which mine is).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
can you move the front A2i sght to the end if it is already mounted in the standard position, if you used a clamp on type sight?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
can you move the front A2i sght to the end if it is already mounted in the standard position, if you used a clamp on type sight?

I answered your email.  Shoot me an IM next time, it'll get you an answer more quickly.

As has been said, a 16" barrel may have a carbine or mid length gas system.  I have a 16" barrel with a rifle-length gas system and a slightly opened up gas port.  It works well.

If I understand your question correctly, yes you can move the front clamp on A2 sight forward to increase the sight radius, BUT you've got to have a separate gas block to handle gas duties.  This separate block may be low profile, railed, or whatever, but you've got to have the gas tube pinned in it and the block positioned over the gas port.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top