Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2003 9:01:05 PM EDT
  How fast do the metal freefloated handguards get hot?(rough estimation for too hot to hold good) I wanted to put on a set of midlengths but was looking at the RRA ones and they dont have slots or anything.  the price was why i have those in mind.  i dont have the cash for a real railed handguard.  i figure i can have some rails and holes or slots put on later when i find out how i want them positioned.    
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I have an Oly PCR16. I put 75 rds through it today at the range over about ~20 minutes. The freefloat handguard was noticably warm after about 10 minutes, and got quite warm by the end. But it never got too hot to touch, although the barrel was nice and toasty.

Take that as you will.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I know JP enterprises makes a heat sink to go under the alum free float guards, I have RRA uppers assembeled with our slotted free float tubes.
Robert
www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
  Thanks for the replies looks like ill need to try to find a plan b.  rbprecision ill look into your handguards and send you a e-mail.  looks like the famous saying you get what you pay for is showing its face again.  Thanks again for the info.      
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a FIRSH from FAC for $100.,you'll like it!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This topic is interesting, I'm trying to figure out how to free float my barrel right now as well.  I was planning on getting the RRA dcm handguards, but I'm not too sure about them now.  What other suggestions would yall have for a 20" lightweight barrel and rra flat top upper?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Bladewurk:  Good call on the FIRSH i think that may be a good choice for me.  They even carry a midlength too.  I read a few back posts that mentioned the FIRSH and for what i need durability and price wise it should work great.  Thanks again, Major

Chinaski: are you looking for one with rails or just a tube? From what ive read the carbon fiber FF handguards stay comfortable temp wise.        
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Major, thanks for asking, I'm not that interested in the rails just because it is a 20" barrel and my first AR, probably should learn how to shoot it first...I'd be happy with just an FF tube, but was under the impression that with most of them you can't have a front sight, is that true?  Can you please point me to a link that has the carbon fiber tube you're talking about?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]
  To start things off from what i know and im new at this too you always have the front sight on the 20" ones. The thing is on rifles where you will be using a scope some people use a flip up for a backup or just a gasblock with no sight.  you can also get gas blocks with a weaver rail to attach a removable front sight.  The thing is if you have a magnified optic then the front sight will ghost out of view and make a little darker sight picture. CMMG has a flip up im going to get.  It looks exactly like the one on the les baer thunder ranch rifle. http://www.cmmginc.com go to accessories then to front flip sight. Thats just the one i like.  Then a ARMS #40 for the rear.      
 As for the handguards a few people make them. Ill just list some (no real order)
1.Briley speedoption www.brownells.com & http://www.impactguns.com/store/product634.html
2.clark custom makes one   http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/cfrifleparts.htm
3.http://www.mdenterprise.com/pri.htm
at least one other person makes them i saw one other one last night that i really liked and cant find it now.  the link was somewhere on this site in a post. ask any more questions  you have and ill try to help out.  Major
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top