Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 8:33:30 AM EDT
i have a dpms lo pro classic upper with the 16" bull barrel.  i would like to install a set of yhm freefloat handguards on it.  my question is....  i want to install a longer set of handguards on it so the barrel is more covered.  the gas block ( small/square with pit rail) has 2 set screws and is easily removed....can i just buy the rifle length handguards and just install a rifle lenght gas tube?   or is it a lot more work?   thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont know if the rail will go over the gasblock... you may have to get a low-profile gasblock but yes basically thats the extent of the install

edit I lied I misread the part where ou wanted to make it rifle length... that would require filling in the gas port and drilling a new one... I dont think rifle length gas systems work well on 16in barrels... but you can keep the carbine gas system and use a low pro gas block and go with a longer rail system that is free floated
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Putting a YHM free float over that gas block will be a pretty tight fit. Mine just barely clears. If you were to clearance the bottom edges of the block it would fit better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a lo pro classic that came with a free float tube.  It uses the same small gas block as your's I believe.  My tube will unscrew over the gas block.  I think you will be fine if you buy a midlength or rifle length tube.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top