Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 2:49:31 AM EST
can anyone tell me what is the benefits of a free float tube?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:50:11 AM EST
From what I've gathered....a little better accuracy when shooting like 500+ yards. If you do alot of prairie dog shootin it might be a good idea to have a free floater. Again, thats just from what I've read thats my take on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:15:39 AM EST
Free floating a barrel does improve accuracy by allowing the "whip" to be un-affected by any items. However, I don't have any experience on it's benefits on an AR.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:52:01 AM EST
Free float tubes are commonly used for NRA Highpower and other forms of competition. A GI-spec rifle has the handguards and sling attached to the barrel at the front sight block; any pressure applied to the sling or handguards will be transferred to the barrel and deflect it. It is a larger problem for light barrels, but is readily detectable with match barrels 1" in diameter. A float tube is attached to the barrel nut, and the sling is attached to the tube so pressure isn't transmitted to the barrel. Whether to use a float tube depends on your requirements for weight and accuracy. A properly-prepared match AR will shoot sub-MOA groups as far as 1000 yards. John Feamster even used one in a benchrest match and shot an "official screamer" - a 1/4" group at 200 yards IIRC. On the other hand, if you're using it as a 25-yard tactical/defense weapon you won't need that kind of accuracy and the tube would be irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:25:36 PM EST
Thanks to you guys for the response. been reading the forum and the float tube keeps coming up.I been trying to decide what kind of rifle to build, I like the CAR 16" and the standard 20"and I like the flattops. The longest range I"ll be shooting is about 100-200 yards and it will be just for plunking, no serious stuff. I'll be using a Fab10 lower receiver to build on.
Top Top