Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:55:20 PM EDT
Much research in anticipation of my first AR.

So I think I know what  it's for, obviously.  But when would one use the forward assist?  Is it like the old palm to the slide trick on a FTF?

Sorry, but I'm a little confused on how the FA actually works...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It slams the bolt/bolt carrier home when (if) it fails to go all the way home...

TS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a contentious topic here. I suggest you find a good trainer and take a class from him, or find some knowledgeable shooters to practice with. Proper malfunction clearance is an important skill.

I personally do not use the forward assist. All of my immediate action drills avoid breaking my firing grip as much as possible.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Regarding your question on how it works....

The button you push is attached to a small rod. If you look at the side of the bolt carrier there are notches cut into it.   When you push the button the rod is pushed in and catches the notches and pushes the bolt carrier forward. It's angled so it will push forward instead of sideways. It is there to assist in getting the bolt all the way the forward.

The only time I've ever had to use it was one time I dropped my 20" into very loose sand in the woods and the dust cover was open. Sand got inside the upper and wouldn't let the bolt go forward. Tapped the FA a couple times and it went on forward. Also, the rifle operated just fine even with the sand in it and the magazine

ETA: If I read right, you don't have an AR yet so here are pics of what I'm talking about.

This is the forward assist not engaged:

Forward assist engaged:

Finally, notches in the bolt carrier that the small rod seen above pushes on:

Hope this helps and welcome to the sickness.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Much research in anticipation of my first AR.

So I think I know what  it's for, obviously.  But when would one use the forward assist?  Is it like the old palm to the slide trick on a FTF?

Sorry, but I'm a little confused on how the FA actually works...

Yep.
The forward assist is used for pushing the bolt to its correct position if it does not fully seat.
At least that is how I understand it.
One of the more educated posters may come along and correct me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is a contentious topic here. I suggest you find a good trainer and take a class from him, or find some knowledgeable shooters to practice with. Proper malfunction clearance is an important skill.

I personally do not use the forward assist. All of my immediate action drills avoid breaking my firing grip as much as possible.

Do your instructors not have you press-check pistols either?

Stepping into a potentially hostile situation without confirming you have chambered a round is never a good idea.  The only way to re-seat an AR type weapon to battery after a check is with the FA.  Well, I suppose you could always slam the muzzle onto a hard surface.

I would agree that immediate action drills for experienced shooters do not necessarily need to include the FA - most of us can tell if it went in to battery, just as I never need to slap upward on my mag - I KNOW it is seated fully, because I checked after I loaded it I I suppose I may in scenario where I was in aruch to get a shot off with a new mag).  SPORTS was developed for the lowest common demominator.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 to what everone said. i lightly hit the fa when loading the first round to make sure the bullet is in battery.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do your instructors not have you press-check pistols either?

No, to "press check" the rifle I drop the mag and feel to make sure that the top round was stripped off. Then reinsert and push-pull.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top