Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2003 2:57:38 PM EDT
I have a Aimpoint ML2 coming and I was wondering if the flashkill is really needed.  I am planing to put this on my shotgun during deer season and was wondering if that much refection really comes of of the unit?  Now granted if my life depended on it it I would have one on there.  But if it is just for looks then I can probably deal without one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a couple of searches on the boards for "killflash" and "ARD". You'll find info and the answer you are looking for.

And my quick answer would be no. For hunting, it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen a FEW hunting scopes with sun shades, but most with them are tactical units.  I hunt a good bit, and have taken my share of deer and have never had on spook from glare/reflection off the lens of my scope or binocs.  Normally if they pass the binocs and on to the scope they aren't there long enough to notice any glint anyway!  [:)]  Not to say I don't take off my wedding band or turn my watch around, but I think glint is more likely of these surfaces.  The only time I could see this being a big concern is if you are hunting facing directly toward the rising/setting sun.

Sun shades and the like are normally reserved for hunting things that might be hunting you back!

But I say just check out your environment and think about when and where and under what circumstances, and make the call for your self.

hershey
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top