Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2003 9:28:19 PM EDT
Ok my brethren, what would be post-ban legal, a permanently welded flash suppressor or muzzle brake?  Does this apply only to muzzle brakes?
Is this all even worth it?  Is the cut off stumpy look the simplest/easiest route to go with?  Are the pin on/set screw brakes any good or are they just hood ornaments?  You tell me.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
An approved BATF legal post ban brake welded/pinned on, Rock River has a killer new tactical brake (wire cutter notches reminesent of the HK91)I dont like the set screw type, just my 2 cents.
I am sure there is an extensive description somewhere on the board, email address and I will get you the new RRA catalog.
Robert
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Had to be an ATF approved brake, and if the bbl uses a common thread (ever used for a flash hider), the brake has to be permanently affixed.  Can't use a flash hider on a post-ban, even if on permanently.
RRA uses pre-ban bbls, threads on the brake, then blind-pins and welds the brake, then parkerizes ass'y to match.  As Robert indicated, the new tac-brake is pretty cool, and works very well.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, here's one; does the standard A2 compensator count as a flash hider or a muzzle brake?  Would that be legit to weld on?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The A2 flash supppressor functions a TINY bit like a compensator, but not at all as a muzzle brake, and it is certainly not post-ban legal.  Nothing that reduces the flash signature in any substaintal way will be post-ban legal, regardless of attachment, or what people call it.

-Troy
View Quote

So - Does the BATF REALLY test each MFG.s
Muzzle brake or Comp - to see if it reduces flash? [:\]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
OK who can recite the " method approved by the BATFE " for permanantly attatching a MUZZLE BRAKE?

Blind pinned and welded is self explanatory.

What about just welding?
Is there a formula for the size of the weld?

As a side note, a Smith non Vortex  set screw brake will stay on reliably if you countersink the areas where the setscrews meet the barrel, and while not billed as a flash hider, they do minimize the flash on an AK, dunno about an AR.

Travis F.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top