Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 3:13:08 PM EDT
Hello to all.  New to this forum, not really new to AR shooting in general.  Looks like good people here.  I have a question for all the experts......I own two AR's, one a Colt sporter and the other a brand new Bushy M4 I just picked up last week.  When I shoot the Colt, I notice that the spent shell is always ejected at about 5 o'clock and a good 5 feet away.  The Bushmaster ejects only several feet at 3 o'clock.  I know this comes down to the tension on the extractor spring, and have been told that more tension = bad scenario when the gun heats up.  It just seems that the Bushy burps them out though, and is not as gratifying and seems like it might lead to future failure-to- extract problems.  Opinions?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the forums.

If the BM reliably ejects and extracts, I would not worry about it.  However, if you are worried you're loosing tension, then take your extractor out, clean it and put in a new extractor spring.  Many people use the Wolf +10% extractor spring, but it's not a "must have."  

IMO, the extractor is one part that needs regualar cleaning and spring maintenance/changes.  Many people don't mess with it until they get FTE's.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice.  I did have one FTE out of 200 rnds of Q3131A and that's what got me a bit worried.  I've seen the D-fender advertised in magazinea and online, and am considering trying this just to see if it makes a difference.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top