Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2002 8:40:26 PM EDT
Sable has the 550 for 322.00 and 552 for 370.00, i was wondering is it really woth to pay extra for aa lithium one vs n type battey. I know its 550=300 hr run time and 552 600 hr run time. For most of you would you pay the difference?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got my 550 in the mail from S.W.F.A. today.  I have other electronics that take the N size battery, so I keep a few on hand.  I do mostly target and tactical training shooting, so I'm not really concerned about run time.

I must say that the EOTech is a FANTASTIC sight!  I'm very pleased with it so far.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
i got the 511 cuz if i can ever afford to buy NV goggles i can afford to upgrade to a 550...
N batteries aren't very expensive and unless you've got lots of spare room on top of your rifle they take up a lot less space than the AA model.  either way i'm sure you'll be happy with the EOTech.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the 552, but almost got the 550.  Just like Akshin said, the 552 takes up space. Then again, all I need up there is a BUIS (I have an ARMS 40), eye relief is irrelevant with the Eotech, so no biggie.  I opted for the 552 because it takes the same battery as my TV remote, dictation recorder, minimag lite, cordless phone, walkman, motorola talkabouts, etc. $50 gets you cheap batteries from any local stop and rob anywhere, or you can raid any number of things at your house from them, and AA's recharge cheap too.  Those little 123's are almost $5 ea. in places and have half the run time.  I figure you'll have to go through maybe 20 batteries in the 550 to make up the difference in the $50, not to mention time driving around looking for 123's if you need them.  600 hrs. is the thing constantly on for over three weeks.  Also, the value is there because the 552 is USGI special ops issue.  I'd spring for the extra $50 for the reasons given.  One time having to drive around on a Sunday range day looking for those little batteries is worth the $50 to me.  Any eotech you get will make you happy though!
cheers, Craig
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I vote AA.  For the reasons Cleophis stated.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
i am considering getting the 552 when i get around to buying another EOTech, but i'll have to see.  if 511's are still $75+ cheaper i may just buy a twin for number one.
radio shack has the N batteries 2 for $3, and in my area there are 2 radio shacks within a mile (why i don't know, but there are!)
i think the general consensus is get an EOtech, any EOtech, and you will love it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is the EOtech so hot?
I still am debating which red dot to get.  Reflex II RX06 or 09 was winning the battle for a while simply because I hate batteries.  But EOTech seems awfully popular.
too many buddies have talked about problems with Aimpoints, so I am leaning away from them.
More details on the over-all niftyness of the EOtechs would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Well Akshin, you know you can only leave yours on for a week and a half straight ;)  Those lithiums have about a 10 yr. shelf life, so its really choice....and $50+ buys about 20 batteries (or almost half a year of leaving your eotech on constantly).

Why Eotech Sylvan?  Here are some comments from someone who knows zip about red dot CQB sights (I'm an iron site guy-they don't need batteries):  The red 2D reticle picks up targets very fast, its a headsup affair, it's rugged, its waterproof to 10+feet, it adjusts easily, is simple, cowitnesses easily with irons, no eye relief issues, wherever the dot is on the glass, that's where the bullet hits, its the flavor of the week for everyone (to include various gubments, USGI specops, etc.).  In another year someone will come up with something else that will be all the rage....and I'll still be here happy as a puppy with two peckers shooting my Combat Elite IR BDC reticle handle mount scope and my Eotech 552....Don't know anything about Aimpoints or Reflexes, but I know that my Eotech is the cats whiskers to moi.  Check them all out at a gunshow (between tables of deer jerky, t-shirts, and glass unicorns) and go with what suits YOU as the three are commendable products.  Aint America great?
cheers, Craig
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top