Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/29/2005 1:11:22 AM EDT
I was out shooting with a buudy yesterday and he has a PWA AR15 that I know little about. The problem is that after firing a round the bolt only opens half way and the shell is not ejected. He has to manually pull the bolt the rest of the way open to eject the shell, the next round fires fine but does the same thing again. Is this a problem with PWA or is it operater error. I figure it is a gas tube problem but then again I know nothing about these rifles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:19:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 1:19:58 AM EDT by Mr45auto]
SHort stroking, first check is the gas rings. www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=240052
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:10:41 AM EDT
perform the short stroke test as outlined here:

---TEST FIRING PROCEDURE---
-Unload the rifle and verify that it is clear.
-Check the bore for obstructions.
-Load the rifle with one round from the magazine. Use quality ammunition and a proven magazine for this.
-Aim downrange and fire, the bolt should catch on the bolt stop. Hold the rifle as loose as possible.
-Reload and repeat the process if the rifle does not lock open Depress the bottom of the bolt stop before firing this time. This allows for weak magazine springs, sticky followers, or an overly strong bolt catch spring.
-If the bolt does not lock open then there is a gas system problem. Investigate and repair the problem.
-If it only locks open with the bolt stop depressed, repeat the process with a different magazine. If the rifle still fails to function then look at the bolt stop as a probable culprit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:59:23 AM EDT
Thanks alot. I will sure try.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:02:26 AM EDT
Here is Tweak's index to Troubleshooting: www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=119

Mike
Top Top