Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 12:04:27 AM EDT
I never bought a dewey rod for 30+ dollars but i have used one. Let me show you the power of the wal-mart. They sell a .17 call coated rod looks like a dewey but different handle and price i think it cost like 4 dollars or something. Same crap but .17 so no forceing it down the barrel its 1 peace its 100% like a dewey just a different handle and .17 cal i clean my shot guns with it as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I never bought a dewey rod for 30+ dollars but i have used one. Let me show you the power of the wal-mart. They sell a .17 call coated rod looks like a dewey but different handle and price i think it cost like 4 dollars or something. Same crap but .17 so no forceing it down the barrel its 1 peace its 100% like a dewey just a different handle and .17 cal i clean my shot guns with it as well.

thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a cheep coating that will peel off shortly, at least mine did. Dewy's is extreemly thick and unless you really try to screw it up is will never peel. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
i'll stick with a 22 cal rod for everything upto 30 cal. For 30 cal and above I use a 30 cal rod. Never had a tight patch due to rod diameter. I have had tight patches from oversize patches and jags.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll stick with my Dewey. Theres a reason the Wal Mart one is $4. That is b/c it's a Chinese made POS. The Dewey should last a lifetime. You'll be lucky if the Wal Mart one lasts a year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll stick with my Dewey. Theres a reason the Wal Mart one is $4. That is b/c it's a Chinese made POS. The Dewey should last a lifetime. You'll be lucky if the Wal Mart one lasts a year.

Dewey has been known to replace any rods that do not last.

I gurandamn tee you, Walmart won't.

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
thats funny i had mine for 3 years and it hasnt broken yet. Hey when you think about it wanting to be right and being right are two different things. I clean my 20 cal pellet gun with it i dont think i can do that with any 22 cal dewey and i dont fell like droping 30 bucks for a peace of teflon coated wire.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
other thing you got a .22 hole and a .17 cal rod. In order to peal the teflon off the rod the riffle would need to be at .17 cal or smaller since the rod would need to have friction to peal it off now wouldn't it? I think it is stanless steal rod or wire down the middle of the dewey. Well lets see I have a felling that is harder then the barrel witch is chrome lined or not. The rod at wals mart is aluminum so if the teflon where to come off it wouldn't dammage the barrel now in the unlikely event of the teflon comeing off your dewey i have a felling that would really fuck up your rifle. The cleaning rod from walmart wouldnt because aluminum isn't as hard as the chrome lineing or the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]

aluminum isn't as hard as the chrome lineing or the barrel.

Wrong.  Aluminium Oxide (Al2O3) is over a 9 on the Mohs scale.  It's the second hardest mineral on earth, and only diamonds are harder.  After all, why do you think sand paper is made from it?z
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you even seen or used a Dewy?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wrong.  Aluminium Oxide (Al2O3) is over a 9 on the Mohs scale.  It's the second hardest mineral on earth, and only diamonds are harder.  After all, why do you think sand paper is made from it?z

WTF are you talking about no medal is on mohs scale. almost all medals are harder then dimond. Even soft copper is. Eather way chrome is harder.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Have you even seen or used a Dewy?

yeah ive used my friends. It isnt anything great thats why i wouldn't waste 30 dollars on it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a one-piece wood dowl rod. Ain't scractched nutin but my butt!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF are you talking about no medal is on mohs scale. almost all medals are harder then dimond. Even soft copper is. Eather way chrome is harder.

Don't be silly. Diamond is the hardest substance outside of laboratory stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
is diomond harder then a hammer? Umm no.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Whut's ah diomond?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

????? how old are you and where did you go to school man.......
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
This kid never fails to make an ass of himself in every thread he starts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
A diamond is the second hardest substance known to man, last I heard.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Last I heard Diamond is the hardest material known to man. It is so hard infact that even the the hardest man made ceramics are not even close to the hardness of diamond.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You can't be serious!?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Here's a little science experiment: rub a diamond and a hammer together.

Which one get's scratched?

Here's a clue: it's not the diamond.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Try this...

Hit a diamond with a hammer.  Which is harder???

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]
DO OVER, TOO MANY ERRORS!

Quoted:
other thing you got a .22 hole and a .17 cal rod. In order to peal the teflon off the rod the riffle would need to be at .17 cal or smaller since the rod would need to have friction to peal it off now wouldn't it? I think it is stanless steal rod or wire down the middle of the dewey. Well lets see, I have a felling that it is harder then the barrel witch is chrome lined or not. The rod at wals mart is aluminum so if the teflon where to come off it wouldn't dammage the barrel now in the unlikely event of the teflon comeing off your dewey i have a felling that would really fuck up your rifle. The cleaning rod from walmart wouldn't because aluminum isn't as hard as the chrome lineing or the barrel.

My God man, were you trying to get everything wrong?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#24]
My $1k and $2k rifles are worth the extra $27.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My $1k and $2k rifles are worth the extra $27.

EXPENSIVE RIFLES OUR BAD FOUR YOR WALET HERES WHY

GO TO WALMART AND LOOK IN THE GUN SECTION

etc etc
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rebel;
My Dewey 22 cal. AR rod crapped out in about a year of use. No teflon at the tip for the first 3/4" just a bare steel rod with a hint of rust on it. My 30 cal. Dewey for the M1A is still good. However it has little use and I can't remember when I used it last.
Are you saying that Dewey will replace my 22 cal. rod?
I will be using my Otis pull through just the same, as it does it all and shows no sign of letting me down and I assure all that it is well used!
Does Dewey have a web page or email. I'll contact them before I send it out.
Thanks for any info in advance.

Dave McGrath

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rebel;
My Dewey 22 cal. AR rod crapped out in about a year of use. No teflon at the tip for the first 3/4" just a bare steel rod with a hint of rust on it. My 30 cal. Dewey for the M1A is still good. However it has little use and I can't remember when I used it last.
I will be using my Otis pull through just the same, as it does it all and shows no sign of letting me down and I assure all that it is well used!
Thanks for any info in advance.

Dave McGrath

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:.

Quoted:.
I'll stick with my Dewey. Theres a reason the Wal Mart one is $4. That is b/c it's a Chinese made .POS. .The Dewey should last a lifetime. You'll be lucky if the Wal Mart one lasts a year.

Dewey has been known to replace any rods that do not last. .

I gurandamn tee you, Walmart won't. .

Rebel;
Thanks for any info in advance..

Dave McGrath.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#29]
YO!!!!!
Sorry about posting my previous post 3 times. I wondered where my post went before I realized I was on page 2! Can't figure out how to delete them either. Edit was of no help.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Dave: Edit your other two posts and replace all text with just a period "." or something.  Can't delete around here.

To Hammer vs Mom's Diamond Ring-Boy:
Diamond = like hardest ever, dude!!1!
Aluminum-Magnesium-Boron = distant second place, not winner
Cubic Boron Nitride = close third
Ames Lab

Your bore = not a contender

Here, you might learn something you haven't been taught:
How Stuff Works - Diamonds
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#31]
What does the hardness have to do with brittleness?

Softer coatings on rods can pick up debris and scratch your bore.  The chrome lining might be hard, but will erode faster if you are running abrasive particles down the bore.

New barrels are 150$ +

Dewey cleaning rods are 20-30$
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm actually thinking of springing a few more bucks for a Boretech...I've heard good things about them.  I went to check out some Dewey rods at Midwest Shooters Supply, and most of them appear less than straight and the bearings seemed to "rumble" somewhat.  My Proshots are fully banana-ed, I dont know if they were that way originally, or after repeated use (I didn't bother checking back when I got 'em.)  Problem is no one retails Boretech so I can't check them for true.  Any users here who could advise?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I just bought the $3 rod from Wal-Mart.
It is very cheaply coated but Krylon (I think) makes a ruberized coating paint that should patch it up very well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I loves public ejakshun!!! such goods spillin' aaand grammatic! i tells yuh whut?         sich a plashure ta reeed.

Anyway...sorry about the rant. Used to use a Dewey rod, and the coating got stripped off eventually. What to do? I went to Midwest shooting supply and bought the Tipton carbon fiber rods. FWIW, there is a faction of armorers/smiths who won't use coated rods due to the possibility that crud can get embedded in the coating and damage the barrel. However, if you tend to wipe off the rod after inserting and prior to re-inserting back into the bbl while cleaning, I think that this point is moot.

Having said that, I bought the Tipton carbon fiber rods which have no coating, are very stiff, and the bearings are smooth as a baby's butt.

HUNDREDS of cleanings later, and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Tipton all the way

SO.......how come they don't make airplanes out of diamonds
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Of course, I shot a hole through a car door with a copper bullet, so the copper must be harder than steel ......watch out hammer I'm coming for ya!!!

And I wouldn't trade any of my several Dewey rods for a cheap imported POS either.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
DO OVER, TOO MANY ERRORS!

Quoted:
other thing you got a .22 hole and a .17 cal rod. In order to peal the teflon off the rod the riffle would need to be at .17 cal or smaller since the rod would need to have friction to peal it off now wouldn't it? I think it is stanless steal rod or wire down the middle of the dewey. Well lets see, I have a felling that it is harder then the barrel witch is chrome lined or not. The rod at wals mart is aluminum so if the teflon where to come off it wouldn't dammage the barrel now in the unlikely event of the teflon comeing off your dewey i have a felling that would really fuck up your rifle. The cleaning rod from walmart wouldn't because aluminum isn't as hard as the chrome lineing or the barrel.

He was.  This is what the 13year old warrior does.

Rules.

1.Make an effort to destroy the English language, spelling, punctuation, use of or lack of

much needed nouns, verbs, adjectives, ect.

2. Piss off as many fellow ARFCOMERS who are over the age of 15 as possible.

This gives him the cool factor with all his fellow Jr. High and lesser High School

locker room buddies.

3.Be the best Troll one can be.

He has succeeded in all areas.  

My God man, were you trying to get everything wrong?  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

"Hey Clark, shitter's full..."
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#39]
B-O-R-E-S-N-A-K-E
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
B-O-R-E-S-N-A-K-E

+1

I also have a Dewey rod, however it's 6 years old and during a recent move it has become slightly bent. The bend is not at all that abd and I can still get the rod through the barrel. About half way down it starts to rub. Is this OK or should I get another?
I only use Dewey rods or boresnake. I would not use the el-cheap-o form WM. My guns are too important to me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Or... you could get a tipton carbon-fiber rod.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top