Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:57:17 AM EDT
I just picked up my first ACOG (TA31 triangle ret). I called Trijicon and it was made in April 05 but the brightness in the dark isnt what I expected. Also the numbers on the reticle go in and out of focus. Is this normal? It seems like your eye has to be lined up perfectly in order to see the #s on the reticle clearly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Same thing happened to me at first, focus on a target not the reticle and use both eyes (especially if the target is nearby).

ETA: Reticle in a dimly lit room
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
the brightness at night is not all that

focus on the target both eyesopen as stated above
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#3]
is the acog mounted on your rifle?

if not you will have that problem with any scope, also what the others have said
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
is the acog mounted on your rifle?

if not you will have that problem with any scope, also what the others have said

yes with ARMS19s mount

I can do the both eyes open thing well but when I close one eye its sometimes difficult to focus on the reticle.

I also thought it would be brighter at night
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
the best thing i can tell you is to find another one to compare it to and have someone else look through it.

also try targeting an object instead of just looking at the reticle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same issue/concerns when I picked up mine. I'm not sure, but I think the fact that you are getting a "fuzziness" when closing one eye is do to the effect of the BAC reticle. It is designed for use with both eyes open...that whole 1:1 ratio when sweeping the rifle and then the 4:1 ratio once fixed on a target. Again, I THINK this is why you are experiencing what you’ve described...at least it's what I've experienced. It takes your eyes getting some use to, and you have to train yourself to focus on the target, not the reticle.

The whole "not being as bright as you thought" thing....that's my biggest complaint too. Like you, I thought it would have been brighter too. It's especially bad when moving from a well-lighted room into complete darkness. Even though your pupils need time to adjust, I would have thought the tritium would be brighter. One thing to keep in mind though, is that if it were too bright, it might wash out a target, especially one that is shrouded in shadows or poor light. The idea is to be able to hit your target, regardless of light conditions, with greater accuracy.

I sent my scope back 5 weeks ago and had Trijicon look at the illumination levels while they changed out my fiber assembly. I called them with my concerns and they offered to do both for free. When I got it back, the slip didn't say anything about them changing or re-charging my tritium. They did however replace the prism due to a defective fiber tail assembly. It does seem to glow brighter in "zero light", but it's still not as bright as I would have thought.

Looking at the scope...it can't be "all things" to "all people". It's the balance between a CQB and an Intermediate-Range optic. If you want something to glow bright at night for fast target acquisition...then you might want to have both your ACOG and an Aimpoint or Eotech mounted with throw lever mounts so you can carry both and change them out when you want...depending your "needs". This is what I’ve resigned myself to...I guess I could always do the Aimpoint with 3x Magnifier combo...but I just don't want to give up the precision the ACOG provides.

If you are still worried, check the following. Check around the fiber housing to see if there are any "air bubbles" or "cracks". This is purely cosmetic, but it caused me to notice the fiber tail was leaking the fluid they used to suspend the red fiber filament (where the assembly enters the scope body). Since yours was made in 2005, I doubt it has the "old" fiber assembly, but I just thought I'd mention it.  You can always call trijicon up and explain to them what your concerns are. They will most likely suggest you send it back to them for an inspection. Turn-around was 10 days, as of 12-10-05. I got mine back on the 21st. If nothing else, $10 s&h plus a few days without your scope may buy you peace of mind. Sorry for being long winded...just putting my .02 in. Hope it helped.

Regards,
Mickey
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had the same issue/concerns when I picked up mine. I'm not sure, but I think the fact that you are getting a "fuzziness" when closing one eye is do to the effect of the BAC reticle. It is designed for use with both eyes open...that whole 1:1 ratio when sweeping the rifle and then the 4:1 ratio once fixed on a target. Again, I THINK this is why you are experiencing what you’ve described...at least it's what I've experienced. It takes your eyes getting some use to, and you have to train yourself to focus on the target, not the reticle.

The whole "not being as bright as you thought" thing....that's my biggest complaint too. Like you, I thought it would have been brighter too. It's especially bad when moving from a well-lighted room into complete darkness. Even though your pupils need time to adjust, I would have thought the tritium would be brighter. One thing to keep in mind though, is that if it were too bright, it might wash out a target, especially one that is shrouded in shadows or poor light. The idea is to be able to hit your target, regardless of light conditions, with greater accuracy.

I sent my scope back 5 weeks ago and had Trijicon look at the illumination levels while they changed out my fiber assembly. I called them with my concerns and they offered to do both for free. When I got it back, the slip didn't say anything about them changing or re-charging my tritium. They did however replace the prism due to a defective fiber tail assembly. It does seem to glow brighter in "zero light", but it's still not as bright as I would have thought.

Looking at the scope...it can't be "all things" to "all people". It's the balance between a CQB and an Intermediate-Range optic. If you want something to glow bright at night for fast target acquisition...then you might want to have both your ACOG and an Aimpoint or Eotech mounted with throw lever mounts so you can carry both and change them out when you want...depending your "needs". This is what I’ve resigned myself to...I guess I could always do the Aimpoint with 3x Magnifier combo...but I just don't want to give up the precision the ACOG provides.

If you are still worried, check the following. Check around the fiber housing to see if there are any "air bubbles" or "cracks". This is purely cosmetic, but it caused me to notice the fiber tail was leaking the fluid they used to suspend the red fiber filament (where the assembly enters the scope body). Since yours was made in 2005, I doubt it has the "old" fiber assembly, but I just thought I'd mention it.  You can always call trijicon up and explain to them what your concerns are. They will most likely suggest you send it back to them for an inspection. Turn-around was 10 days, as of 12-10-05. I got mine back on the 21st. If nothing else, $10 s&h plus a few days without your scope may buy you peace of mind. Sorry for being long winded...just putting my .02 in. Hope it helped.

Regards,
Mickey

Thanks for all the info
I think ist ok and just me so I'll try it at the range this week end and see how it does
I'll compare it to my Aimpoint also
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I found the problem out
I had my eye too close for the relief
pulled my head back a bit and its now very clear
Im just used to the nose to CH way of shooting which put my eye too close to the scope
I can do the both eyes open thing well and like that aspect but may also get a Doc Optic
I am disappointed int he brightness of the triangle in low light conditions
I'll see how it does at the range tomorrow
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top