Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 12:54:02 PM EDT
I just installed my Fulton Armory barrel with pre-installed barrel extension into my SI Defense upper with a DPMS bolt.  I did my function checks and they're GTG.  I did not check the head space as I don't have the gauges here with me to do so.  My problem is I tried to manually ride a live round forward and the round went into the barrel fine but the bolt did not lock up behind it.  The only way I can get the bolt to lock up and grab the round is letting the bolt slam forward.  It ejects the round fine as well when I do this method.  The action is pretty stiff and tight as well is that just because its new springs etc...  I'm going to have the head space checked before I actually fire it but I think I may have some issues due not being able to ride a live round forward like you can on the AR15 platform.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:52:44 PM EDT
Many .308win ARs are tight and you can't ride the BCG. Mine is.  Don't force the round it can get stuck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:44:36 PM EDT
You have to let the bolt slam home in any AR type rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:56:51 PM EDT
When I do the go/no go gauges they require you to "ride" the bolt forward and tell you not to slam it forward.  How did you guys go about doing this check if you cant ride a 308 AR bolt forward?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:25:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MOTO69JOE:
When I do the go/no go gauges they require you to "ride" the bolt forward and tell you not to slam it forward.  How did you guys go about doing this check if you cant ride a 308 AR bolt forward?

However, you say this is a newly built rifle - are you trying this on a brand new BCG with no lube on it?  The thing needs to be wet.  Even more so than an AR-15.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:07:41 PM EDT
Yeah it's new and tight.  I'll lube her up some more and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:18:24 PM EDT
The bolt-to-carrier fit is gonna be tight anyway, until you get a few rounds through it.  It'll loosen up some.  With what you're describing, I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.  Shoot that sucker and enjoy it, it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:25:25 AM EDT

That may be, but a round is not a gage.  You don't want to damage the gage.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:54:26 AM EDT

When you use the gauges you need to remove the extractor and the ejector to get a accurate reading.  Some gauges have a cut out for the extractor.  When you are chambering a round you are running the extractor over the rim and that can cause a lot of friction, stopping the bolt from fully locking unless extra force is applied.
Top Top