Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 3:58:59 AM EDT
I am hoping someone will expain the meaning of "cowitness."  Does it refer simply to having iron sights and a scope both on  the same gun? Or  is it using iron sights and scope together to give a superior sight picture somehow? Thanks for any clarification.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am hoping someone will expain the meaning of "cowitness."  Does it refer simply to having iron sights and a scope both on  the same gun? Or  is it using iron sights and scope together to give a superior sight picture somehow? Thanks for any clarification.

"Co-witness," means that your optical sight and iron sights are in line with each other and you can look through your optic and still get proper sight alignment with your iron sights. A useful thing, as if, or rather when, your optical sight goes down, you can immediately use your iron sights WITHOUT removing the optic.

Tulsa PD has just recently authorized the officers to carry AR-15s, and "co-witnessing" is a requirement, if they choose to mount an optic sight.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a craze, that is over rated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's a craze, that is over rated.

yup
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Most of the time cowitnessing is an advantage when your primary optic is some sort of unmagnied red dot like an Aimpoint or Eotch and you have BUIS installed on your weapon.  If the optic where to break you would have irons available to use without having to move the optic.  It also allows for a consistent cheek weld regardless of sights being used.  IMHO there is no disadvantage to cowitnessing especially if your BUIS flip up.

It is also nice to periodically check your zero.  

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Although I understood what co-witnessing was, this graphic helped a LOT with understanding the two basic kinds of getting there.

Graphic credited to Onslaught, found at the Maryland AR Shooter's Site.

[Edit for grammer]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Although I understood co-witnessing was, this graphic helped a LOT with understanding the two basic kinds of getting there.

emsiandd.com/arfcom/images/CoWitness.jpg

Graphic credited to Onslaught, found at the Maryland AR Shooter's Site.

That is a great reference to cowitnessing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The reason I think it is over rated is, you can hardly see your iron sights in a fire fight, they kind of ghost out on you.   Hence why in most combat thousands of rounds are fired but very few hits are obtained.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#10]
More co-witness shots, sorry about the quality, camera is not the greatest.

EOTech with CCH BUIS.

Looking through the sights.

Looking over the sights.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Cowitnessing is when you let the Jehovah's witnesses in and actually read the pamphlet along with them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top