Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:44:09 PM EDT
Okay, I have been watching the EE and the RBR site and I am wondering where else I might check for a chrome bolt and cam pin to complete my chrome bolt carrier.
All suggestions in line with the above question appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
IM sent with some info.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
cda97 posted this link in a thread I started a while back. The description says that they're from the '60s, but I'd call and check to be sure that they're original Colt.

ETA: If you want a chrome machined firing pin retainer, you can get those from DPMS, assuming you can bear the fact that it's not Colt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Okay, I have been watching the EE and the RBR site and I am wondering where else I might check for a chrome bolt and cam pin to complete my chrome bolt carrier.
All suggestions in line with the above question appreciated.

COLT NEVER EVER made chrome cam pins. Some may appear chrome,but it is from wear.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the quick responses and the information. I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Take note,Gunny's bolts show they have parked extractors,,,and there was a multi,multi page thread a while back about the lousy customer service,him cashing checks and taking way too long to send the goods.He was "written off" by many members here.Some have had good luck,BUT the majority were quite pissed off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Gunnys is hit or miss.  I've had decent luck with them, but I think you can find one for $75 pretty easy,  seems the going asking price for something decent.  You could call and ask for all chrome correct marked and see what they say.  Think I'd insist on one with chrome extractor also.  At worse you might have to send one back.  Put a want to buy on Retroblackrifle forum.  List your max shipped price and see what bites.  Last ones I saw at funshow were less than Gunnys price but not by much.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
cda97 posted this link in a thread I started a while back. The description says that they're from the '60s, but I'd call and check to be sure that they're original Colt.

They look to be the narrow band model.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:03:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take note,Gunny's bolts show they have parked extractors,,,and there was a multi,multi page thread a while back about the lousy customer service,him cashing checks and taking way too long to send the goods.He was "written off" by many members here.Some have had good luck,BUT the majority were quite pissed off.

It would be nice if some of these companies took better care of the customer.  I was thinking of buying one of these bolts but I would have to call first.  Sarco rubs me the wrong way as well.  I truly believe that Sarco is run by people that don't have a clue about what they are selling.  I have ordered from them before but I am hesitant to do it again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:18:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#10]
It would be nice if some of these companies took better care of the customer. I was thinking of buying one of these bolts but I would have to call first. Sarco rubs me the wrong way as well. I truly believe that Sarco is run by people that don't have a clue about what they are selling. I have ordered from them before but I am hesitant to do it again.

I worked at a hot rod and performance engine shop for 5 years and was basically the purchasing agent among other duties.  I found that customer service varies from region to region in the USA.  Some of the best stuff made, and that money could buy, came with the worst customer service.  Nothing like buying a stroker crank (real big money) from someone who couldn't even speak english.  Or a custom grind all out full boggie (gring off the part number) roller cam where I had to leave a message and some times a quick call back would be two weeks.  Both of these companies were in Cali. and this was standard business for them.  One thing though,  it was worth the hassle.  In the south right away generally means make it happen right then.  Not so, with many out there.  Haven't really got the best of customer service dealing with retro either, except from a few top notch individual sellers on this forum.  What is sad is there is a lot of money to be spent from the retro side and better customer service is definately warranted.  What else in AR-15/M-16 commands as much coin as retro?  For the most part the real retro stuff hasn't even been made in 30 plus years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, so the wife caught me looking for chromed parts this morning, so she asked me and I was wondering, DO I really have to have a chrome bolt and cam pin for a chromed carrier?
Or did they ever use a parked bolt and cam pin in chromed carriers?

It hurts when she slaps me with that logical frying pan for not asking the simple questions........
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Okay, so the wife caught me looking for chromed parts this morning, so she asked me and I was wondering, DO I really have to have a chrome bolt and cam pin for a chromed carrier?
Or did they ever use a parked bolt and cam pin in chromed carriers?

It hurts when she slaps me with that logical frying pan for not asking the simple questions........

As m1sniper stated above, and as I thought all along, Colt never manufactured chrome cam pins, so that's not a component you need to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
A chromed bolt would be appropriate with a chromed carrier. However, unless you go around with your bolt locked back, no-one will ever know but you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They look to be the narrow band model.

Excuse me for being a dumbass.

What is the narrow band model?  Will it work in a stardard sized sized carrier?

I have  a more modern made DPMS chromed non notched carrier.  Is there going to be a problem with it fitting?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
wide band on top,narrow on bottom.See where fire pins are pointing to
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww111/Robpics/001-3.jpg

Thanks for explaing it to me.

Two follow up question:

Is there any signifcant performance difference between the two?

When did the wideband come on board and what is correct for a 601 build?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww111/Robpics/001-3.jpg

Thanks for explaing it to me.

Two follow up question:

Is there any signifcant performance difference between the two?

When did the wideband come on board and what is correct for a 601 build?

Considering that very few people would ever see the band (and fewer still would know the difference), you could easily get away with either narrow or wide.  But if you're detail-oriented to the point of mental illness (and welcome to the family!), you want a narrow band and squared-off extractor.  Read this thread carefully and study the photos. (Make sure you understand the extractor controversy in the photo.)
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
as others have said chrome cam pins are not original.  PM me and i will give you some more information on where to find a chrome bolt.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top