Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 8:58:40 AM EDT
I am looking to get another A3 16" upper.
I understand that the M4's have feed ramps cut in them and some are available chrome lined. Could someone please give me the benefits or problems with having the chome lined barrels or feed ramps?
Also if I get a 5.56 chamber are there problems with firing commercial .223?

Thanks
Bill
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There are no problems with a chrome lined barrel, if anything, it aids in reliablity with feed and extraction.  The chrome lined barrel will last longer, even though most shooters won't shoot enough to see the difference.  I see a massive difference in cleaning, with the chrome barrel coming much cleaner much quicker.

The 5.56 chamber will fire the .223 and 5.56 (military surplus) ammo without a hitch.  The .223 chamber is a bit tighter, and will not work as well with 5.56. It should work most of the time, but most of the time isn't good enough for me.

No doubt you will hear some people comment that a chrome lined barrel isn't as accurate as a stainless steel or unlined barrel.  True, but unless you are good enough to notice an 1/8th inch difference at 100 yards, you will never notice.  Regardless of how good many people claim to shoot with open sights at long distance on this board, most are telling fishing stories.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There are no problems with a chrome lined barrel, if anything, it aids in reliablity with feed and extraction.  The chrome lined barrel will last longer, even though most shooters won't shoot enough to see the difference.  I see a massive difference in cleaning, with the chrome barrel coming much cleaner much quicker.

The 5.56 chamber will fire the .223 and 5.56 (military surplus) ammo without a hitch.  The .223 chamber is a bit tighter, and will not work as well with 5.56. It should work most of the time, but most of the time isn't good enough for me.

No doubt you will hear some people comment that a chrome lined barrel isn't as accurate as a stainless steel or unlined barrel.  True, but unless you are good enough to notice an 1/8th inch difference at 100 yards, you will never notice.  Regardless of how good many people claim to shoot with open sights at long distance on this board, most are telling fishing stories.
View Quote

I completely agree![:D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I completely agree![:D]
View Quote

I second the motion.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, what Stick said.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top