Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2010 8:16:19 AM EDT
PROBLEM: the charging handle is way too hard to pull back. its able to pull back but definately can not use off hand to pull from the left side. i have to lower the gun and fully grip the handle with right hand (trigger hand) and almost push the gun away from me with my left hand just to pull back.

ive had the problem for a while and cant figure out the cause. ive checked to make sure my buffer spring is carbine length and not full. ive checked for abrasion areas on the handle and in the upper receiver area. made sure the handle itself is straight as an arrow. ive even oiled up the whole dang thing to see if itll go smoother. no luck...

IDEAS?????
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Gas key binding on the gas tube ... bolt dragging on the extension lugs? Is it tight through the entire charging of the weapon or just at the beginning? Try this ... remove bolt from carrier ... slide carrier into upper (no CH either) until it engages the tube .. is there any resistance? it should slide right onto it with just a little nudge. That will tell you if the key and tube are binding. Also check you feedramps and make sure they aren't "askew" to one side or another ... this is an indication the barrel is canted and the lugs of the extension would be out of alignment with the bolt causing drag.

ETA ... what make is the upper?
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 5:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess none of the replies you got in your other thread helped?

You even made this statement yourself...

Quoted:
yes the weapon fires fine, not a problem. bcg runs fine when coiled back after shot
when i try to charge it back its feels as if the spring is too strong or too long but length is correct. nothing feels as if anythings scraping or not smooth.

Sounds like absolutely nothing is wrong with your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess none of the replies you got in your other thread helped?

You even made this statement yourself...

Quoted:
yes the weapon fires fine, not a problem. bcg runs fine when coiled back after shot
when i try to charge it back its feels as if the spring is too strong or too long but length is correct. nothing feels as if anythings scraping or not smooth.

Sounds like absolutely nothing is wrong with your rifle.

Ah ... I didn't see that one.

sounds like you need to pump some iron.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#4]
took it to a local smith who been around for a while and knows his stuff but couldnt find anything wrong to why its so hard. only thing to do is try buying some replacement parts

fyi its a dpms upper w/ rra lower..........no....everything is alligned
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure if you read my reply where you posted this twice but here is a paste from the other thread.
There were some bad handles out a couple years ago that were short at the front and would pull over the top front of the carrier and jam as you pulled it back.

Sometimes the handle can drag on the top of the buffer tube retaining plate on a colaspable stock if the plate sticks up too high above the top of the lower.

Does it take the normal amount of pressure to push the hammer down.

Does the carrier line up with the stock tube correctly.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one charging handel acutally bend and the farther back I tried to pull it the stucker it got.... I just replaced it with a forged model and not a cast and I am still goood to go......
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top