Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 10:51:19 PM EDT
i printed a copy of the instructions out for assembling a lower, then took the laptop into the garage and opened up the big picture of the parts in the lpk... start to finish was about 35 minutes, and this was something i've never done before.

never had an ar before because i thought they would be too complicated. so far, so good. which can only mean i royally screwed something up. don't know how to function test it, so i guess i'll just wait until the upper arrives from model 1. still waiting on the collapsible from legal transfers so i can finish the lower assembly out.

just wanted to say thanks for all the input, instructions, and encouragement from this board. i didn't experience the great flying detent incident, which was nice, because i was sure it would happen to me; it didn't.

so... any ideas on how to function test what i have up to here?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure the safety, trigger and mag release work. Cock the hammer back, try the safety on and off, pull the trigger, try it with the safety on and off, and see if a mag drops free. Then do all of this again later with the assembled rifle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Always do a military function check after you assemble, clean or do any work to your AR15s.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#3]
* THE FOLLOWING CHECKS ARE PERFORMED ON UNLOADED RIFLES *

SAFE
Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Place the selector on SAFE. Pull the trigger, and the hammer should not fall.    
SEMI
Place the selector on SEMI. Pull the trigger and hold to the rear. The hammer should fall. Continue to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear, and release it, Release the trigger with a slow, smooth motion until the trigger is fully forward. The hammer should not fall. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.  

www.ar15.com/content/guides/functionCheck/
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top