Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2002 6:21:19 AM EDT
i would like to build a ar15 from one of the complete kits!
being that i am new to shooting and ar's is this something that can be done for someone with little experience in guns?
or are these kits for serious gunners' only?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same reservations as you last Christmas, I ordered my first AR complete.
Once I had it in my hands, I found that they are quite simple, so I ordered a kit for this Christmas from Olympic Arms, went with a 16" Eliminator.

I am so looking forward to Christmas day.

Go to this link page:
[url]http://old.ar15.com/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]

Let me know what you do,

Rancid Lance
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I put together my AR earlier this year in about 3 hours, having never even touched one before. I'm also not terribly mechanically inclined.

I'd definately do it again. I'd also recommend that you go with J&T Distributing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I built a 16" M4 several months ago but didn't use a "kit".  Just bought a stripped upper and lower, then the barrel and all the other parts needed and proceded to assemble them.  It all went real smooth. Also, it shoots great and after about 4 or 500 rounds thru it, haven't had a lick of problems or malfunctions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i would like to build a ar15 from one of the complete kits!
being that i am new to shooting and ar's is this something that can be done for someone with little experience in guns?
or are these kits for serious gunners' only?
View Quote

If you've ever built a plastic model, played with Lego's or an erector set as a kid, you're ready for a kit. For your next rig( there will be) you'll be ready to piece together a scratch built! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
alpo and notack, is it cheaper to build from scratch than a kit?

Got my complete Oly kit for 424.00
Lower for 105.00

Rancid
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Just like Not_A_Llama, I put together an AR15 for my son about 2-3 months ago having never even held/seen/thought about one before. I used a DPMS lower receiver and a J&T complete kit. I'm happy with both products.
Chris
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
alpo and notack, is it cheaper to build from scratch than a kit?

Got my complete Oly kit for 424.00
Lower for 105.00

Rancid
View Quote

Haven't never added everything up.  Will have to see if I can find any reciepts that I saved and see if I can add it up.  Don't know if its any cheaper but Had lots of fun putting everything together and you know every piece in the rifle when your done.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
J&T 20" Kit $434 (Upper & Bolt assembled)
DPMS Forged Lower $109
2 hours no hitches and done
Like it better than my Oly but my Oly is cast.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
ADCO firearms has Rock River parts and kits available.  Their kits come with all parts EXCEPT the lower parts kit.  Price on the website is $570.  Drop Steve a line for a quote on a specific configuration.

The kits come with stripped lower receiver, assembled upper, and stock.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/ar.cfm

Sarge
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top