Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2003 11:05:31 AM EDT
My buffer has a small hole that catches the buffer-retainer pin as the buffer is inserted into the buttstock.  Does anyone know the purpose of this hole?

The hole seems only to interfere with buffer insertion and removal.  Moreover, once the pin is caught in there, I'm not really sure how to get it out, except by forcing the buffer into the stock (doesn't seem healthy for the buffer or the pin).

I'm wondering whether this is normal.  Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a drain hole for any liquid getting in the buffer a place to drain out
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks... but the only way for liquid to get into the buffer seems to be through that hole... [:)]

So one should avoid getting the retainer pin stuck in there?  Other than forcing the buffer in, is there a remedy if the pin does get in the hole?

Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you are referring to the buffer retaining pin. The retaining pin and spring go in the hole, and hold the buffer in place when open the upper from the lower, otherwise the buffer and spring would shoot out of the lower.

Take a look at the exploded diagram of the ar-15 and you'll see that is supposed to be there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
But when I separate lower from upper, the retaining pin blocks the front of the buffer from shooting out.  To get the buffer out, I depress the pin.  Once the buffer is out an inch or so, the little hole in it can catch the pin.

In the exploded diagram from this forum, the little hole would be in the "buffer assembly," just about where the "buffer retainer" is pointing.  However, I don't see the hole indicated there.

Maybe I've misunderstood...  but I'd like to get to the bottom of this.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
So what I'm reading, the buffer retaining pin is sticking in a "hole" or detent in the buffer its self after you have depressed the pin and started to remove the buffer.  Is this "hole" only in one spot on the buffer?  If so, turn it so the retaining pin doesn't catch it.

Could we see some pictures?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#6]
BigIck: Yes, exactly right.  The hole is in only one spot.  When I first tried to remove the buffer, I didn't realize this hole existed, so the pin caught in it.  Now I'm doing what you suggested; i.e., rotating the buffer a bit while removing it.

Here's a picture of something similar: [url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/2pcbfr01.jpg[/url].  The hole is on the left.  There are more buffer pictures at [url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/[/url], but only that one has the kind of hole I mean.

Once the buffer was caught, I stuffed it forcibly back into the stock.  Somehow this disengaged the pin from the hole, but I hope the force didn't damage the pin or something else.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd take something and mark on the face of the buffer the possion of the holes.  That way when removing it, just rotate it away from the 6 o'clock possion to avoid gettting it stuck again.

I've always found the K.I.S.S. system works best! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I'll do that from now on... it's just that I'm still a bit puzzled as to why the hole is there in the first place.

Incidentally, is it true that after firing, the buffer slams against the retaining pin and is blocked by it?  This setup seems a bit flimsy to last very long, as the pin can loosen or break, and the buffer itself can wear out where it hits the pin.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The rear of the carrier should push the buffer back off the retaining pin slightly when you close the upper. If it does not then something is off.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, thanks -- I believe the retainer pin does back off once I close the upper.  I hadn't realized the pin's only purpose is to prevent the buffer from shooting out when separating the receivers.

I'm still puzzled by the hole in the buffer, and so are the local gun shop folks.  It's a Colt Match Target 2 lower, if it makes any difference.  Is it plausible that it's intended for the buffer to be locked in place after emerging around a couple of inches (for cleaning maybe)?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I am looking at my Colt buffer (collapsible stock). There is a roll pin in that hole. The pin retains the plastic bumper on the front of the buffer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you sure you don't have that buffer in backwards?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Rear of the buffer, the bumper on the rear.
5:22 AM, you know.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top