Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 4:51:08 PM EDT
i built my first lower tonight.  well, i thought i've seen and played with these things enough that i thought i pretty much new what i was doing.  to make a long story short, i broke off one side of the trigger guard housing after using a hammer to punch it through.  now, i have the piece connected together with the pin (it's pretty tight, but i want to make sure it doesn't come out)...is there any special adhesive i can use to glue this piece back to the lower? or i pretty much ruined this lower?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know how severe your break is.  My best guess, if the receiver isn't cracked further up you may be able to JB Weld the broken part back in to make it work.  Basically, the lower primarily just holds the 'trigger group' for lack of a better description.  Maybe if you clean your parts very well, you may get the JB Weld to set up well enough to just be a barely visible hairline, which you could paint or black in later.  This is just my best guess.
For future reference, I find that when installing the trigger guard I end up using a roll of masking tape (as a makeshift bench block) and a couple of old towels to support the lower.  And tap lightly, letting it go in on it's own.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I just posted in another thread on the need to make sure to support the receiver very well when doing this, and to grease up the pin really good.  Sorry to hear you broke yours.  

Can you post a pic, by any chance?  

JB Weld is probably the best bet...unless there's another sort of super epoxy type stuff you could get down into the crack...assuming the crack isn't too long.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top