Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 6:55:42 PM EDT
im about to buy my next flashlight for early christmas gift
im a long time owner of a Surefire 6Z,  Inova X5.
What flashlight would you suggest for me? this is due to the soo many New brands of tactical flashlights & i dont know what to get now

Please share your ideas.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a surefire, a pentagonlight, a streamlight, and two brinkmans.

I'm really liking the pentagonlight so far.

edit:

but I'm not tactical. Don't go by what I say.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I gave a brinkman light to my brother.  He was in desperate need of a small bright light.  I just said here you go.  Happy early xmas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
paltik,
What if anything is 'wrong' with your 6Z?
Why do you want a new light, and what will you be using it for?

Al
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
What Grant said!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You said 'tactical' but do you simply mean a high output light for EDC (every day carry) or do you need a light to coincide with a CCW?

If you simply want a strong performing, comfortable to carry light that is comparable to the 6Z/ZP and the X5's performance I'd highly recommend the Surefire Executive series lights such as the E2E-HA or E2D Defender -

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/lights802.jpg

The E2 series lights are ideal for EDC because of they're smaller, slimmer design, they the pocket clip, a clicker style tailcap and you have the option of switching to an LED head that's roughly the same size as the std. head.  The E2D Defender has the strike bezel design and is certainly intended to be a defensive tool.  The E2E-HA & E2D have 60 lumens performance and an approx. 75 min. runtime.

If you're after the combat grip design lights then the G2Z is certainly a winner, and I would recommend it over the Z2 based on it being a little more resiliant if dropped, won't show routine wear as bad and is slightly less expensive.  There is another choice that might be of interest though, the C2 Centurion has both the combat grip design and has a pocket clip for easy carry and quick deployment.  Here are couple pics of it -

C2-HA -

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/C2HA_LARGE.JPG

C2-BK & E2D (w/ Z61 clickie t/c) -

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/lights368.jpg

If those are more than you want and are just after something bright then the SF G2, 6P & 9P are econo choices.  The PentagonLights are great and the HA finish variant are very affordable.  Next on the list are options such as the Pelican M6 and Streamlight TL-2 or TL-3.

Give the folks at BrightFlashlights a call!  They will help you out and steer you away from stuff you don't need.  
I've dealt with Calvin there and I can say they are a fantastic vendor!
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy two!

You need a super high output lamp model for self defense - to ID and blind your target.

You need a super long life, LED model for SHTF - to see or be seen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The Pentagon X3 seems to be running the best bang for the buck, I picked mine up from Teknic / www.rainierarms.com/.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#13]
whats your price range?  heh.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry my e2d and my 9p (converted my 6p) each and every day :0)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
The Gladius has better throw than any Surfire 6V and has more adjustability than any Surefire.  With the blackouts here in Houston I use it all the time on its .8 lumen 400 hour setting.  For tactical use its 70-80 lumen 70+ minutes of output is hard to beat.  Its kind of big but Night Ops is about to release a smooth body version with pocket clip for EDC.  I have said it before and will say it again... its the best light EVER.  Even the beam pattern and amount of light in the hotspor vs surrounding corrona is perfectly done to make the light seamlessly useful at all ranges.  THe only drawback is the small hotspot with low illumination up close but its a "tactical" do it all flashlight not a general purpose "work" light.

Also do you have an Arc AAA on your keychain?  Best keychain light made IMO.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have the money, Consider a Surefire A2 Aviator. Low level LED illumination, High output regulated incadescent lamp that is comparable to the P60 lamp. It is slightly less bright, but only for the first few minutes before the P60 output decreases because of battery drain. The regulated circuit will keep it at nearly the same output until the batteries can no longer drive the lamp. Even then, the LEDs are still operable so you woould not be left in the dark, The A2 is slightly bigger than an E2e though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Gladius has better throw than any Surfire 6V and has more adjustability than any Surefire.  With the blackouts here in Houston I use it all the time on its .8 lumen 400 hour setting.  For tactical use its 70-80 lumen 70+ minutes of output is hard to beat.  Its kind of big but Night Ops is about to release a smooth body version with pocket clip for EDC.  I have said it before and will say it again... its the best light EVER.  Even the beam pattern and amount of light in the hotspor vs surrounding corrona is perfectly done to make the light seamlessly useful at all ranges.  THe only drawback is the small hotspot with low illumination up close but its a "tactical" do it all flashlight not a general purpose "work" light.

Also do you have an Arc AAA on your keychain?  Best keychain light made IMO.

I agree.  I like to use it on the .8 lumen setting when looking for stuff in the middle of the night.  Even that setting is very bright when its pitch black.  If I need more light hold down the buton and voila. More light.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Surefire Scorpion.  Nice, reliable, 20 bucks, LED, and the batteries are getting cheaper all the time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
SureFire don't make a flashlight called the "Scorpion" - that is a model made by Streamlight.
Also, there is an incandescent version, and an LED version so be careful you get the one you intend.
Personally I wouldn't waste my money.

Al
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]
the surefire beast of course... i like the e1e & e2e but i haven't tried anything else.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top