Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 7:18:54 PM EDT
Getting an A2 upper and want to mount a holosight to it.  What is the best low buck 2 piece quadrail that can have an optic mounted.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Either the Midwest Industries or Yankee Hill 2-pc rail will work and are reasonably priced.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I was thinking.  I just wanted some other peoples opinions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Midwest Industries. Excellent craftsmanship, Locks up tight and fits snugly. Worth every penny and more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Low buck for optic mounting?  WTF?

None of those previously mentioned thus far are secure enough to ensure a zero.

Find yourself a nice used KAC RAS.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Low buck for optic mounting? WTF?

None of those previously mentioned thus far are secure enough to ensure a zero.

Find yourself a nice used KAC RAS

Reasons?  Any experience?

Please back up what you are saying.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
None of those two piece handguards lock up to the gun.  They are just like plastic handguards as they snap in place.

Something like a Knights Armament RAS has a clamp that engages the bbl nut to lock it in place.  This ensures a rock solid platform that will not move.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The KAC RAS has a hex screw that keeps the rails tight to one another. The PAQ-4s we had would pretty much keep a zero when mounted to the KAC RAS. But it still installs easily. The YHM/MI rails do not have said hex screw, do not expect your holosight to keep a zero mounted to one of them. Especially if you drop it or you hit a bump while it is in your car.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Very good reasons.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The only problem is that it is outside of my buget.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the MI handguard mounted on an A2 and they are superb. The only bad thing I've heard about the YHM is that it can take some work to get certain foregrips to lock on the rails.

I was looking at mounting optics on my MI handguards as well. It will work but as mentioned any bumps and just resting/leaning your rifle against something is going to throw your zero off.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd get a free-float to ensure return to zero.  My MI 2-piece rails lock up tight, but I wouldn't trust mounting a optic on them.  The Troy, Samson, MI or YHM free-floats aren't nearly as expensive as say, Daniel Defense or LaRue rails.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only problem is that it is outside of my buget.

Then save for a little longer.
You'll be money ahead if you do it right the first time.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Getting an A2 upper and want to mount a holosight to it.  What is the best low buck 2 piece quadrail that can have an optic mounted.

Look at a gooseneck mount for the A2 carry handle instead of mounting optics to a non locking type handguard.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#14]
MI, YHM, surefire
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'd get a free-float to ensure return to zero.  My MI 2-piece rails lock up tight, but I wouldn't trust mounting a optic on them.  The Troy, Samson, MI or YHM free-floats aren't nearly as expensive as say, Daniel Defense or LaRue rails.  

free float for sure. Samson also makes a few good 2 peice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#16]
misread the post... how the heck do you plan on sighting the optic with an a2 ? with the a2 carry handle in the way you'd need a seriously tall riser to see onto the handguard mounted holosight
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#17]
There are lots of pics of people running A2's with some form of reddot.  

As for the goose mount, I am seriously considering it.  I am looking at the CavArms one.  Will it work with a quadrail?

This is my third project so far.  I have one AR that has a free float quadrail already and another with a free float tube.  I am just trying to be allitlle different on this one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#18]
You need a free float for mounting optics. My surefire is rock solid, but i would never even think of putting an optic on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#19]
installed some MI 2pc yesterday and love them, I wouldnt put an optic on them though. Get the MI FF for that, or swap out your upper for a flat top
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top