Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:30 AM EDT
 I have 2 post ban barrels is there any one who can put bayonet lugs on them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Only person i would trust is Steve at ADCO

Check the feedback, everyone fairly raves about their work. Barrel threading too. Check their shop services pages. Fast turnaround too. Don;t let your local guy butcher it. i have seen some horror stories posted here about local smiths
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only person i would trust is Steve at ADCO

Check the feedback, everyone fairly raves about their work. Barrel threading too. Check their shop services pages. Fast turnaround too. Don;t let your local guy butcher it. i have seen some horror stories posted here about local smiths

+1 for Steve, I had work done on my RRA and he did a great job.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the Bayo lugs were on the front site post/gas block.  Shouldn't be too difficult to just install a new one of those.  Right?

-K
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I thought the Bayo lugs were on the front site post/gas block.  Shouldn't be too difficult to just install a new one of those.  Right?

-K

Not as easy as it might seem.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

Actually pretty hard, unless you have access to precision milling equipment, then it actually gets somewhat easy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

Actually pretty hard, unless you have access to precision milling equipment, then it actually gets somewhat easy.

Please explain.  I obviously have alot to learn here.  I was under the impression that they were more or less removeable.  Thanks!

-K
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks Ill give him a try
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Kurts Kustom Firearms replaced my postban FSB with a bayo lugged FSB.

It turned out great!   Looks factory installed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

Please explain.  I obviously have alot to learn here.  I was under the impression that they were more or less removeable.  Thanks!

-K

During the barrel manufacturing process, the barrel and FSB are drilled and reamed as a unit.  There is no standard position for these holes to be drilled and reamed, therefore there is very little chance of a FSB from one barrel matching up with the existing holes in another barrel.

Additionally, new FSBs come undrilled, meaning you have to find the exact spot on the barrel where the old FSB was drilled and drill the new FSB in the exact same spot.  Missing the right spot could result in a severly canted FSB, one in which your rear sight can't adjust for.

That's where precision equipment comes into play.  If you have a mill with a DRO (digital read out), you can chuck up your barrel and find the exact center of the old taper pin holes.  Now you can reassemble the old barrel with the new FSB and drill and ream with confidence that you are in the correct spot.

Doing this process blind is not something I would recommend or even try.  A couple people here have been successful doing it other ways, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are mechanically inclined, detail oriented and patient.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that they were more or less removeable.

Removing and reinstalling the same FBS- i.e. when adding a free float rail tube, is what's easy.   Removing and replacing  with a different FSB is where the difficulty begins, unless you use a set-screw style like the newer-version PRI.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top