Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 11:05:47 AM EDT
I need some opinions on which manufacturer (ie. bushmaster, Armalite, Olympic, Wilson, Krieger...etc.) makes the best barrel as far as accuracy and longevity vs. the cost for a 24 inch bull barreled varmint AR.

All opinions are greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Krieger is the most accurate of any barrel and longest lasting stainless barrel.  Its also the most expensive.

Bushmaster chrome lined is probably the cheapest, longest lasting and will still give SUB MOA performance.

Oly and Armalite both make good barrels for the money.

If its a custom rig and you need performance near the Krieger without the cost get a Douglas.

I have never even fired a Wilson AR so I cant comment.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer Olympic Arms Stainles Ultra Match (SUM) barrels.  They are available only in stainless steel.  Can't bet the accuracy for the price.  About 2/3 the price of a Krieger with similiar accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I was really interested in the armalite until I learned the barrels were made by wilson (not Wilson Combat) and I have heard a few poor oppinions on them.  so if there are any armalite fans please share your experiences.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 Wilson barrels 2 16" and 20" and shoot under 1MOA, but not as good as my Les Bauer Varminter
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#5]
who makes the les baer barrels?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
uh... http://www.lesbaer.com/  

Say are you a Landcruser driver?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Krieger is the most accurate of any barrel and longest lasting stainless barrel.  Its also the most expensive.

Bushmaster chrome lined is probably the cheapest, longest lasting and will still give SUB MOA performance.

Oly and Armalite both make good barrels for the money.

If its a custom rig and you need performance near the Krieger without the cost get a Douglas.

I have never even fired a Wilson AR so I cant comment.
View Quote

Spoken like a true AR head!

The Wilson is a high quality barrel as well.

Personally, after cleaning three barrels one night, I am now a convinced chrome fan.  The ease of cleaning is well worth the loss of any acuracy especially on the shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Love landcruisers but currently drive a CJ7. any ideas on transporting long barreled rifles in this sort of rig?

Looks like bushmaster is a favorite and the others offer good products.  Thanks for the consensus.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a nice custom made rifle rack I bolt between the seats in place of a center console that holds 2 long guns.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Les Bauer in the past had contracted out to Snake
River Gun Barrels Asotin,Wa( I lived across the river from them) they went bankrupt kept all of drills,reamers,etc. as well as a few barrels)in the bankruptcy. Les Bauer now makes them in house
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top