Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 3:35:35 PM EDT

big sorries in advance , in the event that this subject has been covered elsewhere; if so i

missed it . spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday at the big PGCA show at the

monroeville , pa. expo mart , and loaded up on a bunch of black rifle goodies , including a

new pattern thermold 30 rnd mag. i've not seen this version before with the "browning high-

power" style take down.....a big improvement in my opinion . got this thing home and

slapped it into my nearest AR , and yoy !! it won't catch !! retracting the bolt allowed

the mag to fully enter the well , but upon trying to close the bolt , it hung up between the feed

lips and the bolt carrier bottom recesses. didn't feel like spending the gas $$ to return

this disaster to the dealer, so i elected to attempt a cure. BTW the same symtoms

appeared in all my ARs. finally got it to work, but had to completely open the mag catch

recess , and remove about .012" worth of material off the upper surface of the recess .

this got it to end up in the right place....but then i found out that the follower wouldn't activate

the bolt stop !!! double yoy !!! played with it for two hours , and could only get it to work

by using a follower out of an orlite !! the original follower is too short for the mag, and

won't reliably pick up the forward finger on the bolt stop . can't fathom how these made it

out to the public . anyone else have similar experiences with these mags ????
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:47:41 PM EDT
It might be a better topic for the magazine forum, but there is a reason why most of us say to stick with the USGI mags.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:58:13 PM EDT
Thanks for the info - I have been wondering about the NEW Themolds.

I guess I'll stick to the master molder ones, and avoid the new ones. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:00:37 PM EDT
New thermolds, huh.. got pics?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:25:49 PM EDT
Most likely the new Pro Mag Thermold copies. Have one for my Mini-14, it's a decent range mag but I wouldn't trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:39:23 PM EDT
I think you got Pro Mag copies, not actual Thermolds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:43:12 PM EDT
i too was thinking it might be the "new" pro-mags

but even then didnt the old thermolds/orlites need to have the bolt cycled on them to break them in?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:54:45 PM EDT
What's "yoy"? Is that Amish?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:31:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmegHead:
What's "yoy"? Is that Amish?

Probably Yiddish.

I knew those things were junk when I saw them at a show. They just look sleazy.

Guess I'll stick w/my NC built originals, but damn; those copies are almost certainly going to drive up the price of the originals.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:36:03 AM EDT
Very good post indeed!
Thanks for the Heads Up!

myit
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:48:15 PM EDT

gonna try and get this P O S up and running with either a new green follower, or one of the

magpul jobs. the frontal side projections will need to be slimmed down a bit to get it

functonal......but the fact that it will work with an orlite follower means there is hope. i just

can't get over how any one can crank out something so F$#@%*+KED up !!! but then

there's no name on the dumb thing either . point : when it's too good to be true ; it usually is !!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:53:18 PM EDT
How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:01:39 PM EDT
Complete sentences, punctuation, and capitalization are your friend.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:06:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jaygee:
but then there's no name on the dumb thing either . point : when it's too good to be true ; it usually is !!

There are new USGI mags in the EE for $10-12. Why would anyone who posts here buy anything else?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:40:33 PM EDT
Maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying that you modified your rifle so the magazine would fit?

I think perhaps shitcanning the magazine(s) and leaving the rifle as is would have been a wiser course of action.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:23:00 PM EDT

that's a negatory on the rifle mod !! i removed approx. .012" from the top surface

of the mag. catch recess.....this is open space on GI aluminum, but closed in on orlites &

thermolds. to do this i had to open the recess up. i've got a big pile of GI 20 and 30

round aluminum , but i like the thermold ( paid $ 17 for it at the show ) i'd like it even

more if it wasn't a kit !! the floor plate removal set up is an improvement over the old

u.s. / canadian jobs , IMHO . whoever designed the tooling for this new abomination

must have modified THEIR rifle to get it to work......and then figured everyone else would

follow suit !! could this be a hilary/ boy chuck plot to make sure our black rifles never go

boom again ??????
Top Top