BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2005 5:59:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]

"Working Man's" Night Vision Scopes, what are my options?  

"Lose" one at work.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Seriously, though.  I can almost guarantee that you will hate 1st gen.  2nd gen is better; if you get one with really good optics, you might be happy.  The difference between 2nd & 3rd is huge also.  I upgraded from a crappy ATN 2nd gen to a mid-range (not PVS-anything) 3rd gen monocular, and I'm very happy with it.  On all but the darkest nights, I can see very well out here in the sticks without any extra illumination.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So I should swing the big bucks($1595) for at least a D-121M Generation 2+ Tactical Monocular?

I have a similar 3rd gen monocular, and I'm very happy.  Since you're in the city (with a lot of ambient light) you might not hate the GenI, but I think the odds are that you would.  It's always bad news to the wallet with NV.  Hell, I'm jonesing for thermal.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I realize that saving up two or three grand can be a stretch to say the least but in the night vision world you get what you pay for. if you buy a 1st gen never look through a 2nd or 3rd gen as your 1st gen will seem SO MUCH LESS. at least gen 2+ but Gen 3 is really the way to go. Save your pennies and learn all that you can about night vision equipment.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Guess I'll just save up my scheckles.

Wave!  I never knew you were Jewish!  

Good choice, man.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So I should swing the big bucks($1595) for at least a D-121M Generation 2+ Tactical Monocular?

No, absolutely not. That kind of money will get you a good 3rd gen PVS7. I'm a little confused-do you want a rifle scope or a goggle for tearing around in the woods?

Any way about it, few current Russian scopes are of the quality that an old PVS2 and 4 are. It's not just the tube performance, it's the lenses etc.

Learn from me: Buy cheap, buy twice. You don't have to get the mostest, but NVD's become real and practical when you get into the 51lpmm Gen III stuff which is affordable right now. You just have to look for it. I got my first pair of goggles here on the EE for $1400, they were and are a great buy. I have since bought a pair of PVS7D's and can tell you there isn't enough difference for most people to justify the price.

Dave
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you after a dedicated rifle scope or a mono to use with a day optic?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]
~
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't this whole thread need to be in the NV section?    Would love to see it there!
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Doesn't this whole thread need to be in the NV section?

I still can't seem to find that section.   Do I need to wear my NVD to find it?  
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Contrary to what you said, you can indeed afford one.  Save the money from not buying cheap NV that you'd regret sooner rather than later, in time you can buy one from IPSC_GUY.   It won't be instant gratification, but the wait is half the fun.

Meanwhile, here's some motivational pic

Kisara you need a thermal sight to find the NV section, I'm planning on getting one this year
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Doesn't this whole thread need to be in the NV section?

I still can't seem to find that section.   Do I need to wear my NVD to find it?  

I used a Gen III/Hybrid to find it!
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=237460
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
has anyone out there tried those Russian units

Sounds like your first choice is a monocular but would settle for a goggle or dedicated weapon mounted scope.  If you get equipment that has been awarded a military contract, ie. AN/xxxxx, you will have access to parts and upgrades for decades.  Older gen tubes can be replaced with a new one as needed or when you have more $.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
these or this

Just what i've found.. Don't have either
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Wave,
In this months SWAT there is a review of a new digital NVG device.  Cost is $250 and they are claiming Gen 3 type resolution (they have pics of what it looks like through the device).  

It looks like an active device (i.e. it needs to have an IR Illuminator to operate), but unless your target is using NVG to look for you that shouldn't matter.

It even runs on AAs, darn tempting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wave,
In this months SWAT there is a review of a new digital NVG device.  Cost is $250 and they are claiming Gen 3 type resolution (they have pics of what it looks like through the device).  

It looks like an active device (i.e. it needs to have an IR Illuminator to operate), but unless your target is using NVG to look for you that shouldn't matter.

It even runs on AAs, darn tempting.

That sounds very interesting! Since few of us need them for actual military operations, but rather home security or SHTF type stuff, I would imagine such a device would be more than adequate.

I'd certainly be interested. Let us know if you find out any more details about this device.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top