Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2003 10:51:11 AM EDT
Ok, so its only an M16A4.  Man, I would hate clearing buildings with that optic

U.S. soldiers search for weapons during a pre-dawn blitz against fedayeen cells in Saddam Hussein 's hometown of Tikrit, north of Baghdad, as former Iraqi strongman's portrait lies smashed on the floor, Thursday, Dec. 11, 2003. US forces from the 1st Battalion, 22nd Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division raided two homes and detained three men believed to be leaders of an insurgent cell responsible for attacks against American troops and Iraqi civilians in Saddam Hussein's volatile hometown and seized a large weapons cache. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)

A soldier of U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division (Task Forse Ironhorse) guards a detained member of a fedayeen organization, during a night raid in Saddam Hussein 's hometown of Tikrit, north of Baghdad, Thursday, Dec. 11, 2003. Acting on an informant's tip, U.S. troops arrested three men believed to be leaders of an insurgent cell responsible for attacks against American troops and Iraqi civilians in Saddam Hussein's volatile hometown and seized a large weapons cache. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/03312000/news.lycos.com/news/ot_getImage.asp?op=img&id=487938[/img]

They really need to get those guys some A1 length stocks.

Or mabye CAR stocks would be better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
From Lumpy196
Ok, so its only an M16A4. Man, I would hate clearing buildings with that optic
View Quote

You would be better off using it is a club.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, if you just used the scope to silouhette on the target, it would probably do fine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Actually, if you just used the scope to silouhette on the target, it would probably do fine.
View Quote

Hawkeye

In lower light conditions?  I look like the scope is rather large with a higher minimum magnification.  In low light conditions, wouldn't everything be a blur.  Could you give me a little more info as to how you would "silouhette" target.

Thanks

PS.  Lumpy196, sorry to hijack your thread.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
This is where I'd expect to see an aimpoint being used instead of the chosen optic. Looks like a cumbersome setup for an operation where clearing apartments inside small buildings is anticipated. However, I wouldn't want to be the fedayeen in focus on the other end of that glass!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#6]
this is easy.  if it's a Leupold close the front lens cover the crosshairs will "reflect" and act as reflex scope and let you get a rough zero.  if it's not keep the scope open and ignore the image in the scope and just look at the crosshairs.  keep both eyes open and let your.  it takes practice but is dooable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/03312000/news.lycos.com/news/ot_getImage.asp?op=img&id=487938[/url]

They really need to get those guys some A1 length stocks.

Or mabye CAR stocks would be better.
View Quote

No, he just needs to grow a little bit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
this is easy.  if it's a Leupold close the front lens cover the crosshairs will "reflect" and act as reflex scope and let you get a rough zero.  if it's not keep the scope open and ignore the image in the scope and just look at the crosshairs.  keep both eyes open and let your.  it takes practice but is dooable.
View Quote

It maybe doable, but its NOT fast...which is kinda necessary at room distances.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hawkeye

In lower light conditions?  I look like the scope is rather large with a higher minimum magnification.  In low light conditions, wouldn't everything be a blur.  Could you give me a little more info as to how you would "silouhette" target.

Thanks

View Quote

To continue the hijack, what he means is just place the outline (silhouette) of the scope over the COM and pull trigger.  I can make it work out to about 15 feet or so.  Basically, you are just using the scope as a way to index the rifle, not look through it.  You don't even have to have the scope covers open - in fact, it works better if at least one is closed.  It is very similar to handgun 'point' shooting where you place the outline of the slide over the center of the target and fire without lining up the sights in a classic sense.  

I have not tried what 308wood suggests, but that might be another option.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It maybe doable, but its NOT fast...which is kinda necessary at room distances.
View Quote

give it a shot.  i think it will suprise you just how fast you can become.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Next trip to the range, I'm giving 308Wood's jig a try.  

Just notice something about the pics, two different guys with similiar but different setups.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
give it a shot.  i think it will suprise you just how fast you can become.
View Quote

I have.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Two words...point shooting!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hawkeye

Thanks

View Quote

To continue the hijack, what he means is just place the outline (silhouette) of the scope over the COM and pull trigger.  I can make it work out to about 15 feet or so.  Basically, you are just using the scope as a way to index the rifle, not look through it.  You don't even have to have the scope covers open - in fact, it works better if at least one is closed.  It is very similar to handgun 'point' shooting where you place the outline of the slide over the center of the target and fire without lining up the sights in a classic sense.  

I have not tried what 308wood suggests, but that might be another option.
View Quote

Exactly what I was referring to. Exactly the same way you would a handgun.
No, its not the best setup for what is being done, but, you have to know how to make use of what you have, as best you can. While its not the "optimal" setup, I would feel like I could still effectively take care of business. Men have made do without night sights and Aimpoints, and Acog's for many years at night. Again, optimal, no....doable, yes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Why would you send two guys with long range optics to clear a house?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#16]
No idea. Maybe they were the closest to the bldg and it needed to be cleared.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Lets just hope he doesnt ever run into a room with a bad guy with an AK with a woman and some kids as his backdrop.

He could obviously point shoot in SOME circumstances.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys
We dont always have time to dig into a ruck and pull out the best optic for the Job, and most the time you have no time so you do with what you got.
In this case DevL is right "reactive or Instinctive" or "point Shooting" is trained and used.
I wish I always had the time to sit down in my house at the table and make sure I had the right tool for the Job but it just don't happen that way.
In this case look over the scope, muzzel low and sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!
I bet they wish they had Lumpy196's or Hawkeye's Carbines, or new-arguys SPR-bine instead of those M5s though,
hahahahahahhaahhahahaLOL!!!  
Gosh I wish we had been issued ARMS Throw lever mounts when I was deployed! Look at the Mounts they have.
cp out!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Lumpy again coming through with the cool pics! I actually saw part of this clip on the news this evening.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, Im slow today.  I just noticed, its two different guys with 2 different guns.  So the scope must be unit procured.

Too bad they dont have an Aimpoint to put in FRONT of of the 3x9 [:D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
      Well, no shit, Sherlock! You guys kill me. When your lieutenant says,"You two take the second floor",you jump and do it.What are you gonna say-"Gee, LT, 1in7LORD at Riflenutz.com sez I should be using a Redpoint C3PO on an M4A1 to clear rooms". Try that with a Regular Army officer, you'll be spending your off-duty time cleaning just about anything you'd care to name. You work with what you got. If you'd stop left- clicking your Johnson in your mother's basement and got out and actually joined the military, you'll find that its not a 3-year gun show. You get the weapon that goes with the position your platoon leader assigns you.And you do entries with it, be it M4, M60, SAW, 9mm, or a 203 with CS. Thanks to Blowjob Bill,we've got minimal manning in our military right now, with the same divisions rotating the same people in and out of Iraq. There ain't 20 guys in the street with Aimpoints waiting to stack left. You're it,baby. That big scope on that M16, it did'nt get there by accident. You can bet that soldier is a SHOOTER! He knew the pros and cons when he installed it. A skull and ribcage across a 10-foot room, not a problem. He'll come out of that building alive.  If it's a problem for you, check out wetdiaper.com and stay there. Another point you gerbils missed, a scope has magnification to spot that rooftop sniper, that RPG gunner 300 yards away who wants to put a HEAT round through his HUMMV. I was a 3rd ID 11B and 11M.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I would think the most important weapon they could have would be experience and quick reflexes - who knows when a door could fly open and a hostile with AKM spraying lead on full auto could pop out. Orders or not, that kind of house-clearing action takes brass balls.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why would you send two guys with long range optics to clear a house?
View Quote

Maybe they are just clearing their way to higher ground/shooting position.

CH
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool pictures Lumpy, thanks for sharing.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
      Well, no shit, Sherlock! You guys kill me. When your lieutenant says,"You two take the second floor",you jump and do it.What are you gonna say-"Gee, LT, 1in7LORD at Riflenutz.com sez I should be using a Redpoint C3PO on an M4A1 to clear rooms". Try that with a Regular Army officer, you'll be spending your off-duty time cleaning just about anything you'd care to name. You work with what you got. If you'd stop left- clicking your Johnson in your mother's basement and got out and actually joined the military, you'll find that its not a 3-year gun show. You get the weapon that goes with the position your platoon leader assigns you.And you do entries with it, be it M4, M60, SAW, 9mm, or a 203 with CS. Thanks to Blowjob Bill,we've got minimal manning in our military right now, with the same divisions rotating the same people in and out of Iraq. There ain't 20 guys in the street with Aimpoints waiting to stack left. You're it,baby. That big scope on that M16, it did'nt get there by accident. You can bet that soldier is a SHOOTER! He knew the pros and cons when he installed it. A skull and ribcage across a 10-foot room, not a problem. He'll come out of that building alive.  If it's a problem for you, check out wetdiaper.com and stay there. Another point you gerbils missed, a scope has magnification to spot that rooftop sniper, that RPG gunner 300 yards away who wants to put a HEAT round through his HUMMV. I was a 3rd ID 11B and 11M.
View Quote

Ok, now that's funny! Somewhat of a rash generalization, but still funny. [LOL]

I think most of us figured all that out. They were just saying it wouldnt be ideal! Welcome to ar15.com.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#25]
15ladder, thanks for posting and sharing your experience... thats what AR15.com is all about. The site has been helping people do that for some years now. But we generally try to help when we can, not point fingers or call names.

BTW, for what its worth, Hawkeye, they guy it seemed like you called sherlock, and suggested stop left clicking his Johnson and go out and join the military... well, he's done his time and served his country. Maybe thats why he had an answer to the question. See, thats the way we try to share info here without making other people who dont know feel like idiots. By doing it this way, we keep ourselves from looking like idiots too! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

Hmmm. I'm in a good mood today. Welcome to AR15.com.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

View Quote

Aw, dang, Hawkeye, did you HAVE to take the high road?

Can't wait to see 15ladder's next post, I must admit.  An ego that size makes for great entertainment!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#28]
An ARMS setup with the picatinny rail/scope ring topped off with a Doctor Optics red dot would solve this situation.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
An ARMS setup with the picatinny rail/scope ring topped off with a Doctor Optics red dot would solve this situation.
View Quote

That would be kinda like New-arguys. [:D]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pe1e03d6db826d9dcf65bd37197caa904/fc129802.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can almost feel the restraint...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be kinda like New-arguys. [:D]
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pe1e03d6db826d9dcf65bd37197caa904/fc129802.jpg[/url]
View Quote

For some reason this pic is the funniest thing I  have seen in a thread in a long time.
Starts out with to guys clearing a house with what they have to this..
Hahahaha. LOL way to funny.
Please post some more.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#32]
It's clear, 15ladder, that you know whereof you speak. It's also a fairly reasonable inference that since I've never served in the military, my opinion wouldn't count for much with you. I have GOT to say, though, that your line about "left-clicking your johnson in your mother's basement" had me chuckling. Talk about mixing your metaphors.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Gentlemen
 I apologize for my rude intro. This is a great site, ton of info.But I was a grunt and I love every one of those grunts who are in Iraq right now. And this forum's ability to rack up comments on those photos gave it an air of 'muttering from a distance' which lit my(regarding US Military) already short fuse. My doctor(Dr Bombay Sapphire) says I'm doing much better now. I'll consider my pee-pee duly whacked,and I'll just sit in the corner there and won't bother anybody.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow - Somebody snaps out a quick reply and everyone
actually stops to think from where it comes instead
of replying in a mess of BS that just chases our own tails. I actually kind of like it for a change!!  Happy Holidays and nice to see a couple of guys shakeing hands and acting like gentlemen.
Oh yeah,Thanks for the cool pics   NHSPORT
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gentlemen
 I apologize for my rude intro. This is a great site, ton of info.But I was a grunt and I love every one of those grunts who are in Iraq right now. And this forum's ability to rack up comments on those photos gave it an air of 'muttering from a distance' which lit my(regarding US Military) already short fuse. My doctor(Dr Bombay Sapphire) says I'm doing much better now. I'll consider my pee-pee duly whacked,and I'll just sit in the corner there and won't bother anybody.
View Quote

By all means, please participate. No need in sitting in the corner. Info can only be of value, if it is passed on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was a grunt and I love every one of those grunts who are in Iraq right now.
View Quote

The adults here are just as concerned about the people in Iraq as you are. Welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was a grunt and I love every one of those grunts who are in Iraq right now.
View Quote

The adults here are just as concerned about the people in Iraq as you are. Welcome to the board.
View Quote

Roger that. Extremely concerned.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#38]
[red][b][size=6]GROUP HUG!!!![/size=6][/b][/red]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gentlemen
View Quote

So now that we have someone fresh from the theater of operations, I am dying to ask the question: In your opinion, is the M16/M4 weapons system still up to the job in Iraq? Or is it time to look for a replacement? I am talking about suitability for mission, reliability in dusty, arid environments, and overall effectiveness against the threats faced. I would really like to know how it fared over there in your opinion.

Thanks

_DR
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

[slap] Get your hand off my butt!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

But you said you liked it?  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Let me clear that up-I was a grunt in the 3rd ID Germany 1984-87. I was a M60MG  and Bradley gunner.(The gunner's station was the left side of the turret-guess that makes ME a left-clicker!) Our biggest worry was the East German border. Suitability of the M4, M16? Hey, this is not our first shooting  trip into Iraq. "Lessons learned" are not always"problems solved" I did read that a shipment of dry lube was held up because the US Mil did not want to admit that Break-Free wasn't getting the job done. Sooo, 6.8mm? Lethal bullet, but still an AR platform, susceptible to Middle East dust. Let's ask the IDF! Ahhh,what do they know about fighting in the desert. XM8?  H&K built a factory outside FT Benning. Like Beretta did for the 9 mil. BOHICA, my man. I hope they issue a cleaning kit with it. They forgot them once.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gentlemen
View Quote

So now that we have someone fresh from the theater of operations, I am dying to ask the question: In your opinion, is the M16/M4 weapons system still up to the job in Iraq? Or is it time to look for a replacement? I am talking about suitability for mission, reliability in dusty, arid environments, and overall effectiveness against the threats faced. I would really like to know how it fared over there in your opinion.

Thanks

_DR
View Quote

Ughh!  please no more about the XM8[:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Let me clear that up-I was a grunt in the 3rd ID Germany 1984-87. I was a M60MG  and Bradley gunner.(The gunner's station was the left side of the turret-guess that makes ME a left-clicker!) Our biggest worry was the East German border. Suitability of the M4, M16? Hey, this is not our first shooting  trip into Iraq. "Lessons learned" are not always"problems solved" I did read that a shipment of dry lube was held up because the US Mil did not want to admit that Break-Free wasn't getting the job done. Sooo, 6.8mm? Lethal bullet, but still an AR platform, susceptible to Middle East dust. Let's ask the IDF! Ahhh,what do they know about fighting in the desert. XM8?  H&K built a factory outside FT Benning. Like Beretta did for the 9 mil. BOHICA, my man. I hope they issue a cleaning kit with it. They forgot them once.
View Quote

Funny you should mention the IDF...I was just reading about them dropping the M4/M16/Galil for the Tavor. I always like to get opinions from those who served, my experience was 8 years in mech infantry (81-89) but I never got out of CONUS. I prefer the AR/M16 because it's what I know, but I am also aware of it's shortcomings from my own experiences.

I always like to hear about other experiences from those who depended on their weapons for their livelihood.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

But you said you liked it?  [;)]
View Quote

Yeah, but your not my wife! [banana]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I honestly don't understand why they aren't issued ARMS Quick detach mounts with the optics. It's basically like sending 2 snipers to do CQB work, with sniper gear. I guess the US Govt is too poor to give the snipers quick detach capability.

They shouldn't be so poor, considering that I basically work for free to pay my taxes (wife makes much more than I do - Pharmacist pay vs factory worker pay, and our combined taxes are more than I make each year - that SUCKS).
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Hmmm.....this thread has got me thinking........hmmmmmm.........[?]

[thinking]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top