Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 10:08:10 AM EDT
Limited to 55gr FMJ, which would you rate highest in terms of reliability, accuracy, and cost?

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]

If i am blasting killer milk jugs or their evil cousins-protein jugs, Wolf does just fine at 11 Cents a round!

But if i want some real pop and impress with the muzzle flash LC is the way to go at 17 cents per round.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]
My understanding was that Q3131A was ammo produced for the Israeli military that ended up in Winchester white box packaging.  If that is not the case, I apologize...I guess I should have said "milspec/surplus ammo"  

Gimme a poll with more than 5 options and I'll break out Q3131A and PMP... [;)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
While Wolf is certainly the most economical choice out there, I would have to say the M193 is "the best" economical ammo. It is hotter, more accurate and uses brass cases which can be reloaded. Some also feel that the brass cases are easier on the gun than the steel cases used in Wolf. For me, it's XM193 and Q3131A for cheap ammo.

As far as the Winchester Q3131A, it is made by IMI of Israel. But this ammo was loaded by them specifically for Winchester to fill the demand in the US civilian market. While it technically is IMI ammo and the same stuff as issued to their military, this ammo wasn't ever loaded for Israeli troops to use.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't need better than 4" at 200 yards, Wolf is it.  I've gone thru countless cases of Wolf and never had a failure.  Can't beat it for the price either; trying to work out a large deal right now for 40-50 cases @50-65.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Need an option for  "ROLL YER OWN"
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Chaos,

We still talking about ammunition? [;)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]
My vote for the best surplus ammo goes to the South African 55-gr M1A3 manufactured by PMP in 1986 vintage. This stuff has the good frag qualities of the more expensive current era ammo, is fairly accurate as numerous posts attest and was dirt cheap at $34 per 300-rd battlepack from the Sportsman's Guide. Fortunately I bought a bunch, but would definitely like to buy some more. Hope another shipment comes across the pond really soon. I've shot over 2,500 rounds of the Wolf 55/62 gr ammo with three different ARs and while I didn't have any failures, that stuff is definitely underpowered and dirty. I ain't buyin' no mo'.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chaos,

We still talking about ammunition? [;)]
View Quote

But of Course Dawg, I just say NO to Wacky Toobacky
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top